How to handle imported mail users with unknown password.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Tekati, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Tekati

Tekati ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

What is the best way to handle importing mail users from an outside vendor? We use fusemail right now but are wanting to bring in our 2000 plus email accounts. The problem is we do not have the password for these users.

I was thinking if there is a way to set a null password and then when the user logs in the first time it sets the password to what ever the user enters. This would work for 99.9% of the users as most users have their passwords saved. There might be one or two users that call in and can not log in to their email and at which point we can simply reset it.

Unless there is a better way please tell me. Not even sure how I would setup my way.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Don't you even have the encrypted hashes of the passwords?

3. Tekati

Tekati ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

We have nothing. fusemail.com is something like outlook.com where they do all the email configuration etc via their website. So we do not have access to the hard drive files or any password information at all.

I thought about writing a web front end to imapsync and letting the user put their current information in and if it authenticates correctly to the fusemail servers then use remote api and set their ISPConfig3 password to the same password and then start to sync the email.

The main issues would be.
    1. We would not be able to cut over email without having the user make server name changes to their client.
    2. Large mail boxes can take hours to sync using imapsync.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

don't know how feasible it is, but what about an imap proxy that both collects the password and proxies to fusemail servers? take your saved/verified passwords, push them into ispconfig and setup imapsync to run. then just keep running imapsync over and over until you have gathered enough user account info to make the cut, then swing your proxy to the ispconfig server.

If you can leave the fusemail server enabled, you could continue validating the remaining user passwords there for a while. Then at some point, drop the proxy and just point the users right at your server.