how to identify which mailbox is sending spam - ISPConfig3, Debian 7

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by inside83, Jun 30, 2015.

1. inside83

inside83 Member

Hello!
    One of my servers keeps getting listed on SpamHaus XBL list.
    How to know which mailbox is problematic?

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Watch the mail queue, scan for malware (!), check for outdated software (e. g. wordpress, joomla etc.), check mail contents and headers of mails in the queue.
    As this is a continuous job, you may try using a service like http://ispprotect.com

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

And when you find that the mailqueue grows, you can inspect the content of the mails that stick in the queue with the postcat command to find out which account or website has sent them.

4. inside83

inside83 Member

Mail queue is empty.
    Senders get something like this from my server:

5. till

This means that the mailserver of the sender is blacklisted. Thats an issue on the sending server and not your server.

6. inside83

inside83 Member

User on my server is the sender.

7. till

Ok. The you should check the link in the message to see when spam has been reported to be sent from your server. next check the mail.log to see if you find any unusual amount of mssages sent at that time in your log.

8. inside83

inside83 Member

This is why I asked HERE if there is some kind of tool that can help me identify the amount of messages per mailbox.
    Is there?
    Because, then I would be able to look at some specific accounts and scan for viruses on the computers on which those accounts are configured.

9. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You could start by doing a grep, e. g.
    Code:
    grep '[email protected]' /var/log/mail.log | grep 'sasl'
    This should list smtp logins from this login.

This won't help if the mails are not sent via smtp but via php mail() or something like that.

This will give you a quick overview of all senders in your mail.log (external and internal):
    Code:
    grep 'from=<' /var/log/mail.log | grep 'qmgr' | awk '{print $7}' | sed -r 's/^.*=<(.*?)>.*$/\1/' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

10. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

To prevent outgoing connections on port 25 you can add a rule to your firewall to block those connections if the user is not your smtpd.

11. inside83

inside83 Member

@Croydon
    That presumes that I know what logon is sending spam?
    But I do not know that, this is what I'm trying to find out.

@florian030
    I'm not sure what you mean. Could you, please, explain?

12. till

You can see the sending account in the mail headers. Get an suspicious mail ID from postqueue list and check it with postcat command:

Example:

postcat /var/spool/postfix/deferred/A/A4BB562D12DC