How to implement a link layer protocol on linux

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by requinham, Feb 19, 2008.

1. requinham

requinham New Member

Hello,

I am going to develop an enhanced version of 802.11e protocol and i don't know what API i will to used for implémentation on this level (ie link layer)

is that somebody know which API use to implement wireless protocol for link layer or HOW TO develope this protocol on linux ?? :(

thx a lot

2. topdog

topdog Active Member

Please look at the kernel source in the networking folder you will find the necessary API's in there

3. requinham

requinham New Member

thx,

there are many source files and it's impossible to read more than 30000 line of code, and the big problem idon't found any documentation about this sources

please help me :(

4. topdog

topdog Active Member

Frankly i am no kernel guru, my best bet is you need to hung out with the kernel networking guys they should be able to give you pointers i think they should have a mailing list or you can use LKML

5. requinham

requinham New Member

think you for this recommendation,
    but the problem is that this book does not deal with wireless drivers.

I want modify the Random Backoff algorithm and i have not been able to find it in the linux kernel source.

if this is not implemented in the kernel how can i force the kernel or the wireless card (Intel pro wireless 2200BG) to use my algorithm

please help me.

thx