How to import a big MySQL dumpfile

Discussion in 'General' started by Hans, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I am using the phpMyAdmin package for ISPConfig to import a MySQL dumpfile with the size of 36 MB.

The maximum size of a MySQL that can be imported with phpMyAdmin by default is 8 MB, so i increased the value of post_max_size = 8M within the file /root/ispconfig/php/php.ini to a higher value then the size of the file to be imported.

Although, i've increased the value of post_max_size, the maximum file i can import, is still not more then 10 MB.

How is this possible and is there another way to import such a big MySQL dumpfile?

2. the_spy

the_spy New Member

mysql -h host -u user -ppass database < sql_file

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

MySQL database imported successfully.

Thanks for your reply.

In the mean time i did:

mysql -p -h localhost webX_dbX < filename.sql

This worked fine. :)

But i am still wondering why i can not import a bigger mySQL file then 10 MB using phpMyAdmin, because i changed the post_max_size = 8M within the file /root/ispconfig/php/php.ini to a higher value.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/6_4_en.html

Do you use a browser like IE that timeouts after 30 seconds? That might be the problem...

5. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

No, i never use IE, but Opera. I think it has nothing to do with the browser. ALso after pressing the Import button within phpMyAdmin i see the maximum size displayed, which is only 10 MB.I think it has something to do with the content of the phpmyadmin configuration file. I will check that.

6. the_spy

the_spy New Member

may be there is also an other option in php.ini , like file_upload or so, I don't remember exactly but I remember seeing some options about size limits