How To Install A Custom Iptables Firewall

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by merlos, Mar 28, 2006.

1. merlos

merlos New Member

Hi all
    I tried to follow the howto but I noticed that the file /etc/firewall/firewall.conf.iptables is missing end this file is needed by firewall.iptables daemon.
    Can anyone tell me where I can download this file or send here an example config file???

Tks in advance
    Merlos

2. merlos

merlos New Member

3. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Im sorry about that...

Yes you need that file, but most people do... if you don't this is what to do.
    Put firewall.conf.iptables, firewall.dns, firewall.banned, firewall.iana-reserved, and firewall.local.iptables (remove the "-generic" from the file names) in a directory called /etc/firewall. <-- that is if my other way didnt work, its just a case of kernel directories and dependincies.

4. sbovisjb1

Here u go

Those directories are where custom dependincies, user options and data output can be stored. If a directory is missing just type in
    gedit /etc/firewall/firewall.conf.iptables or anything as such and you should be good.

5. mebusybody

mebusybody New Member

After Installing ISPConfig iptables wont start

Hi
    Please help serious security problem.

After installing ISPConfig iptables won't startup.
    No error what so ever.

/etc/init.d/iptables start
    Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]
    Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: filter mangle nat [ OK ]
    Unloading iptables modules: [ OK ]
    Applying iptables firewall rules: [ OK ]

/var/log/messages
    Apr 10 00:25:24 host kernel: Removing netfilter NETLINK layer.
    Apr 10 00:25:24 host kernel: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
    Apr 10 00:25:24 host kernel: Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
    Apr 10 00:25:24 host kernel: ip_conntrack version 2.4 (4094 buckets, 32752 max) - 232 bytes per conntrack

Startef firewall using IPConfig, the firewall monitor page is totally different from my iptables rule !

ps -ef | grep iptables

no iptables process !

Please help
    Cheer
    mebusybody

Attached Files:

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure, dont mix 2 iptable firewalls on the same server! Either use the ISPConfig firewall or any other firewall but not both!

The ISPConfig firewall is the bastille firewall script taht you find in your /etc/init.d directory.

7. mebusybody

mebusybody New Member

Thanks for the info, sigh is 1am here. I will continue later in day
    :)

8. sbovisjb1

Nice to see that you fixed that one up... my first firewall script was to allow ports and services the second one was to monitor them.... its true what he said. My suggestion is that if the first one didnt work, (or the second one) just use one. Ill get on fixing that problem :cool:

9. mebusybody

mebusybody New Member

Hi Till
    bastill-firewall is just a script, it will excute iptables or ipchain.
    It seem it is calling /sbin/bastill-netfilter, in my case I have iptables installed.

Question is why ISPConfig use or what is the advantage of this script ?

Cheers
    mebusybody

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

/sbin/bastille-netfilter is using iptables.
    You can check the state of your firewall with
    Code:
    iptables -L

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  11. mebusybody

mebusybody New Member

Hi Falko
    thanks, any ideal the advantage of using the script ?

12. till

The advantage of the bastille script is, that it works with IPTables and IPChains andcan be easiely configured with a config file.

13. miha1978

miha1978 New Member

bastille-netfilter

i am running centos 4.3 and ispconfig, i am interested how to put default bastille sript (/sbin/bastille-netfilter) into booting process

THX

14. till

Bastille is started automatically during the boot process if you enable it in ISPConfig under management > server > services

15. danf.1979

danf.1979 Member

If I install Bastille before I even thinking about installing ispconfig, then, when installing ispconfig is my bastille config file going to be erased?
    Does ispconfig check if there is an existing bastille installed?

16. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, ISPConfig checks that. :)

17. renata

renata New Member

I'm very confused!

Hi!

I'm Renata from Brazil, and first anything else I'm very confused. I'm a 'new girl" in this "firewall lands" ;-) Please, let me know if my understanding of your tutorial is correct:

.- The primary_firewall file is the firewall rules that protect the server.
    .- The firewall.iptables file is monitoring the rules (this is not the firewall rules)

So, what about this another files (firewall.conf.iptables, firewall.dns, firewall.banned, firewall.iana-reserved, and firewall.local.iptables) to be located in /etc/firewall ?? They are really necessary for your tutorial work?

.- The part where I'm lost is about to understand what is the function of the firewall.conf.iptables file. This file is not contradictory or conflict with your primary_firewall file? Which is the difference between them?

I'm running a webserver Debian Lenny (LAMP)

I'll appreciate a lot your answer!

Thanks!

Renata

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010