How To install AWN on Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 for PS3

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by reddy1980, Apr 10, 2008.

1. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

I am new at linux. I have been trying to figure out a way to install AWN on YDL 6.0 for PS3 with no luck. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. zcworld

zcworld New Member

ok
    what is AWN

and URL for it
    maybe i can help out

> dont have yellowdog and an PS3 to play with <

3. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

AWN (Avant-Window-Navigator) is a dock-like navigation bar for the linux desktop that positions itself at the bottom of the screen. It can be used to keep track of open windows and behaves like a normal window list. With enhance features such as 3-D, Bouncing, shaded icons, as well as it keeps track of open window.
    AWN Main Page: http://wiki.awn-project.org/Main_Page
    AWN being used for MAC4Lin theme can be found here section 10.1 of this how to tutorial: http://howtoforge.org/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac_p3 which is a tutorial found in this site as an example.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've never used Yellow Dog Linux, so I'm afraid I can't help... :(

5. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

Yellow dog is based on the fedora/centos project so if you can create a rpm that works on fedora 6 or 7 of the AWN it can probably work on yellow dog linux 6.0. Let me know.

6. o.meyer

o.meyer New Member Moderator

Hi reddy1980,

the official Fedora 8 repository provides packages for AWN (currently version 0.2.6-8) - maybe they'll also work on Yellow Dog Linux.

Code:
    avant-window-navigator
    avant-window-navigator-devel
    awn-extras-applets
    Packages for Fedora 7 (currently version 0.2-1) can be found at http://users.csc.calpoly.edu/~admiller/repo/pub/i386/ .

Best regards,

Olli

7. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

linux i386 fedora packages are not compatible with a Playstation 3 because it runs with a Cell Processor which the packages should say ".ppc" instead of
    ".386"

8. zcworld

zcworld New Member

have you try to compile it yourself
    try and see if its goes or not

9. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

i am kind of new in linux have not been able to compile nothing by myself unless reading detailed instructions step by step. :(

10. o.meyer

11. zcworld

zcworld New Member

try
    unpack the file
    than cd <folder>
    its
    ./Config
    ./config
    ./Configure
    ./configure
    than make
    make install

see if thats works for you

12. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

O. meyer you are the best. i am at work now once i get home i am gonna try those rpms and let you guys know if it works. If it doesn't I will try zcworld's method. Thanks.:)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  13. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

i installed AWN from fedora 8 in YDL 6.0. It installed succesfully but i dont know if its not installed correctly cause it shows on applications\accesorries menu as well as system\preferences but when i click nothing happens i dont know if its a compatibility issue. Also to make it work stable it says it needs Tracker and Affinity.

I installed Tracker for fedora 6 from the package manager but could not find Affinity ppc rpm for fedora anywhere including in the link that O. meyer provided me. Just found the tar.gz package but again i dont understand how to compile unless following detailed instructions.

14. o.meyer

Hi reddy1980,

hava you enabled compiz/compiz-fusion? This is required by AWN - otherwise nothing happens when you try to open it.

Best regards,

Olli

15. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

I installed compiz rpm from the package manager before installing AWN. Do i have to do something after it is installed and if so what are the steps to enable it. thanks.
    Also have you found anything on Affinity rpm for fedora? I know it is also required for it to run properly.

Does compiz or beryl depend on the opengl?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  16. o.meyer

Hi reddy1980,

yes, you have to enable the desktop effects. Affinity? Never heard about it - it's not installed on my system. I think it's not required - otherwise my AWN would not work :) And yes, compiz depends on OpenGL.

Best regards,

Olli

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  17. reddy1980

reddy1980 New Member

Since YDL 6.0 linux runs on top of the ps3 hypervisor blocking access to the RSX(graphics subsystem) no 3d graphics acceleration. http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2007/02/what-is-ps3-hypervisor.html

That doesn't allow me to activate desktop effects. I guess unless someone comes with workaround the ps3 rsx graphics accelerator I am gonna have to use simdock instead.:(

18. defpy

defpy New Member

xcompmgr

Hi,
    Try installing xcompmgr and use it instead of compiz for awn. I have both installed on my ps3 xubuntu and they are working just fine so far ;)
    Bye