How to install Printer on ARM64 Linux Mac M1

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by JButler787, Sep 14, 2023.

1. JButler787

JButler787 New Member

I have a MacBook air M1, I am running RHEL 9.2 on a VM. It is running good, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for installing a printer?
    Specifically, I have a Kyocera printer Ecosys M2040 MFP and the Manufacture has a Linux driver available, but it only works on the x86 versions of Linux. Is there a generic driver that might work? The MFP does support IPP, WSD etc. KPDL is the default emulation, but it also supports other emulations like PCL6, HP, Line Printer and others.

Thanks for your suggestions

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try using CUPS, if the printer works as IPP and PCL6 or Postscript, printing might work.
    Scanning is more of a problem, if the driver from manufacturer does not work, you may be out of luck.
    Does RHEL offer version for arm architecture?

3. JButler787

JButler787 New Member

Thanks for your suggestion of the CUPS.

For scanning the copier supports scan-to-smb or ftp. So that is not a problem.

I found that if I download the Mac print driver and change it to a PPD file, then I can use it as the print driver and I can print with it just fine. I figure since the Mac driver supports the ARM64 architecture and MacOS is a UNIX system it might work...