How to Login to SquirrelMail-need username-password

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Al1937, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Al1937

Al1937 New Member

How do I setup my username and password to login to Squirrelmail.
    Please give details. I am a TOTAL linux newbe.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What tutorial did you follow to set up your mail server?

3. Al1937

Al1937 New Member

Perfect Server Ubuntu 9.04 ISPconfig3.

I just about gave up on getting an answer, I have spent many hours googling for an answer. It seems I am the only one in the world with this question.

I was just going to post the following in a new thread. Might as well post it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently installing
    Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 9.04)
    [It's noted for ISPconfig2, I am trying this on Ubuntu 9.04 for ISPConfig3 installation( first three pages)]
    using PuTTy on one of my network computers.

Running netstat -tap
    One of the listings is:

tcp 0 148 www.bingftp.com:ssh 192.168.1.3:distcc ESTABLISHED 2273/sshd: albert [

The IP 192.168.1.3 is the IP address of the computer I have PuTTy installed.
    Is this listing correct?
    My servers IP address is 192.168.1.100

I have double checked /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts. They are correct.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. falko

In such a virtual user setup, the SquirrelMail username is the email address.

5. Al1937

Al1937 New Member

That's the reason I am trying to install a virtual system, I know what the username is going to be.

I would still like to know what the Squirrelmail username and password is for a "real" system. I am guessing the username may be "root" but using that for my username and my root password does not work.
    Oh well, on with my virtual installation-- I only hope it will work with ISPConfig3.

6. falko

What do you mean with "real" system?

7. Al1937

Al1937 New Member

The advantage of such a "virtual" setup (virtual users and domains in a MySQL database) is that it is far more performant than a setup that is based on "real" system users.

This is a quote from your own
    Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 9.04)

Version 1.0
    Author: Falko Timme <ft [at] falkotimme [dot] com>

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  8. falko

Oh, you mean system users. System users must log in with their username, not their email address.

9. gawehner

gawehner New Member

User table?

I am also trying to set up Squirrelmail using the same Perfect Server How-to. I am the admin and only user on the server. Would my username be [email protected]? If so what would the password be? Is there anyway to change this on the back-end, such as in Mysql? What database/table is this stored in? This is my first attempt at setting up a mail system, so I'm not familiar with the ins and outs at all. I can provide any info you would need to respond. Thank you!

Greg

10. falko