How to make user reach other Server if first one stops working due to hardware issues

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sopras, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sopras

sopras New Member

Hello Guys! i'm trying to make two servers act as a mirror, for now, i know i need to make RAID 1 between the hard-drives and to do that i need to use 'mdadm', pls correct me if i'm wrong! :)

But what if other parts of hardware fail, like cpu, ram etc...

Then i need to make high availible server? or do i?:confused::confused:

I am using 'openVZ' for virtualization, and not necessarily but i'm using 'centos6' atm...

Maybe you know some good TUTORIALS related to that, or something you could ADD or SUGGEST, thanks in advance!!! :)

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes it can be done with RAID1.

It is certainly bad luck that if other things fail, but purpose of RAID1 is to do make the data protected/backup.

With CentOS/redhat use link

With Debian use link

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This depends on your availability requirements like how much downtime you can accept. As you use already openvz, a easier solution then a full HA setup might be to make snapshots of your vm regularily (the new ploop container format supports that) and store this snapshots on a second server and in case the first one fails then start the vm on the second node.

4. sopras

sopras New Member

HA Server on OpenVZ

-quote-
    This depends on your availability requirements like how much downtime you can accept. As you use already openvz, a easier solution then a full HA setup might be to make snapshots of your vm regularily (the new ploop container format supports that) and store this snapshots on a second server and in case the first one fails then start the vm on the second node.
    -quote-
    Since this is a hosting services startup, there can be no downtime, i suppose. If one server stops working it must switch to the next one immediately :),

so to do so i need to make RAID1 or RAID10 and these snapshots? are there any tutorials related to snapshots? thx!:)