How to map IP address to a host/domain name?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Debian2009, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

I am new to Linux!!
    I've set up an apache server for internal LAN user (the LAN is connected to the internet but this server is not open to the internet) and do not know how to map the IP address to a domain name.

I setup the system following "The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 2]"

the name of my system is: main.debian.org

I fire up the browser and type in the IP, the web page shows up without problem. :D
    But when I type in 'http://main.debian.org/index.htm', no web page shows up.:(

2. tebokkel

tebokkel New Member

Sounds like you like to learn an awfull lot about DNS and virtual hosts.. :D

Start by reading
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_hosting

If you have more questions, please do come back and ask more..

Short term fix for your problem: add the ip-address for main.debian.org in the hosts file on you client (/etc/hosts or \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). Restart browser. But as you're using an official domain (debian.org) I wouldn't recommend you leave it there.

Paul

3. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

You should probably assign the name in your router somewere

4. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

Thank you Paul

As a matter of fact, I did not use debian.org as my domain.

Setting the host file in every client is a bit to much to do.
    If the domain name of my server is main.xxx.org and I've installed bind9, is there any faster way to fix my problem (Mapping the IP to the domain name of my Linux system)??:confused:

5. rdv25772

rdv25772 New Member

Use your server as a nameserver

I think you can assign the name in your router as bernholdt said, or you can add your server as an extra nameserver for your clients. You are running Bind9 as well, so take that advantage. The other solution is adding it to the hosts file as Paul stated. You will need to do something on your clients. :D

As you might know, a domain name is always translated to an IP address by the DNS system. It is easier to remember a domain name than remember a serie of numbers like 192.168.0.1 or so.

Good luck.

6. ernestmanning922

ernestmanning922 New Member

Please check below link. I think its help you.

copyrunstart.net/?p=21

:)