How to move from Maildir to mbox?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dedibox, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dedibox

dedibox New Member

I finally managed to get IMAP, POP and SMTP services to run on my new dedicated server.

However, I would like to migrate my IMAP mail mbox files from another server to the new one.

Currently I've only set up dummy e-mail accounts using ISPConfig, so if I need to trash these to re-create new mbox-based accounts, that is not a problem.

However, I understand that moving to mbox may require installing a different mail server?

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge_p4

What I need to know is how to remove the Maildir-based apps and reinstall the mbox-based ones. Also, what else will I need to change about my authentification and postfix configs if I go through this change?

What else do I need to know before I can set up my mbox-based mail accounts?

Is there an easy way to transfer my mbox files to Maildir format?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I dont recommend to use mbox format, it is not as stable and fast as maildir.

You can easily convert your mbox files to maildir with the mb2md script.

3. dedibox

dedibox New Member

How to organize IMAP directories?

Many thanks, till.

I used the mb2md command to import all of the mboxes in an mbox folder I created in my user directory. I uploaded the mboxes from my old server via FTP.

Code:
    mb2md -s /home/www/web6/user/web6_redaction/mbox -d /home/www/web6/user/web6_redaction/Maildir

Apple Mail 2.0 (Tiger) took a while but eventually cached all of my IMAP folders. However, the courierimapsubscribed file does not show my new Maildir subfolders. Is this a problem? Should I add the list of folders by hand to the courierimapsubscribed file?

Also, my mail client does not seem to find an INBOX, and sees all of the folders at the same level of hierarchy (which they are). Should I create a subfolder called INBOX/ or how else do I get IMAP to differentiate betwee special folders like INBOX and Trash and the subfolders which I want to use to archive my mail (but keep it on the server!).

Thanks again for all your help -- this is an amazing forum!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I never had to change any files after running mb2md, so I don't think it's necessary.

I'd try to organize your folders with the help of your email client.