How to move spambox messages to the intended recipient

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by gvvg, Mar 19, 2019.

1. gvvg

gvvg New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    I've got spam messages being forwarded to [email protected] when I find one that is not really spam what is the recommended way to get the email to the intended recipient?
    Forwarding just triggers the same spam rules.
    Thank you,
    Gilbert.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't think that there is a way to do that via forwarding. You can probably either copy the file which contains the mail or use imap to drag & drop it in an email client when both accounts are available in the same mail client.

Personally, I won't use the spam forward method at all. I would use the spam to junk folder filter of the mailbox to move all spam to the junk folder and then have a script which deletes old emails from junk folder automatically after e.g. 30 days.

3. gvvg

Thank for your suggestion - since there are a few hundred email accounts there is no way to setup imap for each of them...
    I was hoping of a script that would allow me to drop the message where it should be bypassing the spamfilter - not sure if that is the proper approach. Quarantine would be the best way to release the message.....
    Can't delete the spam automatically as there are still a few important ones that get caught.
    I wonder how others manage the false spam...

4. till

I explained above most other providers do it and a few hundred accounts is not a big mail server, I know an ISPConfig mail server with more than 15 thousIMAPimap accounts and there are probably larger systems out there.

5. gvvg

I am not clear what the recommended way is to move legimate mail from spambox to their intended recipient. From your messages there is no possible way other than to add their account using imap and then move the mail into their inbox. This is not practical as I don't have every users password and so I wouldn't be able to setup their account in my email client.

6. till

Seems as if you have read only the first sentence of post #2. Here the text from #2 again what everyone else is using:
    And if you delete the spam after x days or let the user delete it himself does not matter for that method.
    And forwarding emails of your customers to your own central account, even if it's a spam account, is probably not legal in most countries, so you should reconsider what you are doing at the moment.

Beside that, there are two methods to do what you want with your setup, one needs an imap password and the other one needs no login to the user mailbox. You might reread my suggestions. Here again both methods from above text:

7. gvvg

From what you say I can just copy/move the file that contains the email from the spambox mail account folder "Maildir" into the recipient's Maildir/new folder and is that simple? Sorry for my confusion.

8. till

yes