How to remote access ubuntu Breezy from windowes!!!!

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by moutraji, Mar 6, 2006.

1. moutraji

moutraji New Member

Hello Guys!!! This is my first posting on this forum and i'm looking forward to get the complete help i need because this forum i believe is the number one forum of solving linux problems!!! Any way, I need help on how to remote access ubuntu breezy from windowes xp????!!! How can i see the ubuntu environment from xp and able to use it!!! If any one knows, please provide me with a complete tutorial and i will really appreciated !!! Thanks guys!!!

2. noahlau

noahlau New Member

3. moutraji

moutraji New Member

Thanks man for your help!!! I have another question... Do i have to install putty on both ubuntu and xp in order to have it working????

4. noahlau

noahlau New Member

use it in xp

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, you just install it on Windows. There's already an SSH server on your Ubuntu system, and PuTTY will connect to it. :)

6. moutraji

moutraji New Member

Ok thanks guys !!! I will try it now and will update you with both cases!!!

7. moutraji

moutraji New Member

Hey Guys!!! I think i have a littel problem with the configuration of Putty!!!! I just put my ip address and it gave me an error saying the following:

Unable to open connection to http
    Host does not exist.

I think i have done something wrong because i don't know how to configure Putty!!! By the way the computer that is runing ubuntu in which session should it be running, default one or Gnome one,,, Thanks guys

8. moutraji

moutraji New Member

OHHH !!!! I got that working!!!! But through sudo terminal.... I don't want to access it like that, i want to access the GNU of ubuntu on my windows!!!! Help!!!

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your IP does not start with http. I guess you entered something like http://192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.0.1

Thats equal. SSH is a server process.

10. moutraji

moutraji New Member

yeah i fixed that!!!! But now i want to be able to see ubuntu's environmnt on windows, how can i do that!!!!

11. till

Then install TightVNC on your ubuntu workstation and the tightvnc client on your windows workstation.

12. moutraji

moutraji New Member

Ok Thanks man!!! I will do that right now and will update you with what's going on!!!

13. moutraji

moutraji New Member

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!!!! Thanks man tightvnc is working now and everything is in good shape.... Thanks to all of you again!!!

14. creatureofdk

creatureofdk New Member

trying the same thing

i am trying the same thing. i have tryed using logmein from www.logmein.com but this is realy a windows aplication so i am trying to run it throw wine but all i get is alot of errors. i have tryed putty but all i get is 'Network error: Connection refused' what am i doing wrong!!!!!:confused: :confused: r.

15. till

16. creatureofdk

creatureofdk New Member

installing TightVNC is not realy an option as i am trying to use it on my school network so i can access my linux pc at home. how do i install the SHH server??? is that when i install ubuntu type server???:confused:

17. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

!!! and more !!!... *sigh*
    Lots of exclemationmarks from that guy.

18. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Run
    Code:
    apt-get install ssh openssh-server