How To Run Your Own Name Servers With ISPConfig And GoDaddy

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by willebanks, Jul 19, 2006.

1. willebanks

willebanks New Member

Howdy all,

Just transfered my main domain to godaddy from yahoo (What a Pain in the !@#$#@!)! I was following the above howto and had a few questions...

#1. Since I have only 1 static ip can I use it for both primary and secondary dns servers or should I have godaddy or someone else "host" my secondary ( Hopefully for free). I tried the Public DNS service but I'm not sure if they are even up and running as I kept getting errors everytime I tried to set something up!

#2. I also have a mail server on the same static ip (same domain as well), I'm not sure how to point to the mail server...do I use an A record or MX or both or is a Cname the way to go...this might be a good short topic for a howto as it is very confusing for a first timer and a step by step guide would be a great help!

#3 Do I even need to have a Cname record? And if so what should it be!

Sorry about all the questions but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right...hopefully to prevent more questions in the future!

Thanks in advance to all the help!

Will

2. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

The easiest way is to do that all by a provider who no only holds your zone, more than that allows you to store all A-Records, MX, CNAMEs on his servers and cares for them instead of doing all on your own.

Normally you should have your zone at least held by two servers in two different class Cs because the redundancy is done by the client. On the other hand if your dns server is also your web and mailserver there is no benefit for the client if he can lookup your DNSname because the will not reach your server.

For the E-mailstuff you need to set up an MX-Record (which is done by ISPConfig as far as you use it when checking the boxes for it.).

Are you already using bind9 or another mailserver?

3. willebanks

willebanks New Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply...as far as bind9 goes yes it is running on my server and as far as I know I have the ability to host my own DNS servers. I have multiple static ips yet I still haven't been able to get an answer from SBC as to how I can access more than one IP at a time... so I have to settle for the one static IP for the moment!

I am using Fedora Core 5 with IPconfig and Postfix. I have a Netgear router and all pertinent ports pointing to the servers address (192.168.0.100), not to mention that the server is setup as the DMZ. I had everything working at one point but was so confused by the Yahoo domain config that I transfered the domain to godaddy because of the above howto!

At the end of the day all I want is to be able to have web traffic and email come to my server. I don't care who hosts the DNS or anything else for that matter. I just want to be able to have a few web pages and email until I understand this stuff better!

Will Banks

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's also explained in the ISPConfig-GeDaddy tutorial. Also have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

Basically, you create an A record mail.example.com, and then you create MX records that point to mail.example.com.

No need for CNAME records.