How To Run Your Own Name Servers With ISPConfig And *registrar*

Discussion in 'General' started by leetcharmer, Jun 15, 2006.

1. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

Hello, I'm using 1and1.com for my registrar with only one server available for my DNS and IP, because I'm running my server from my home ISP connection (Fiber Optics though :D). Under Advanced settings, it states A Record as either 1&1's defaults or I can specify a single IP address; because I only have one server running, with one IP address available for a DNS server -- should I just type my IP in there instead of creating a subdomain (that acts as a DNS) that points to my IP and having my domain point to that DNS subdomain?

Also -- I took a screenshot of what it allows me to put for MX stuff; how should I fill this out to get my mail server working? Thanks :D

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9126/screenshot11controlpanelfirefo.png

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don'T know the 1&1 interface, so it might be better to ask them (or try it, if it's a test domain).

Let's say you have created an A record mail.example.com for your domain example.com. I'm not quite sure, but I think I'd fill in mail.example.com as MX1 and then a priority like 0 or 10. But you better ask the guys at 1&1... :)

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

well, it's sufficient to just put the IP of your server in there (except if you have a dynamic IP address).

However you can also create real nameserver delegation entries like:

ns1.yourdomain.com
    ns2.yourdomain.com

I doesn't even matter if that goes to the same IP (in my case).

I have used both methods (first just entering in the IP adress of my server) and then using ns1/ns2 for the domain "laurelin.fr" --> gonna be my gf's domain ^^

4. Belsameth

Belsameth New Member

An MX record can never be an IP adress. Well, it can but it'll get your mail rejected a lot (it's a violation of one of the RFC's, tho I can't remember which from the top of my head)
    an MX record should point to an A record, the PTR of that IP (reverse DNS) should point back to the A record. both need a TTL of a minimum of 24h.
    If that's done it'll work *and* you'll avoid most blacklist issues.

as for priority. the higher the number the lower it's priority. so give your own server a prio of 10, and your backup MX a prio of 100 or similar :)

5. leetcharmer

leetcharmer New Member

I popped in mail.crossfirenow.com with a prio of 10

how do I make a backup w/ ISPConfig so I can point to that?

Also, will my registrar just let me make hostnames like that on the fly? or do I need to make individual hostnames (subdomains) with the registrar first; as I think I understand: it goes internet -> registrar -> my server, and as long as my domain has to go through a registrar first, I don't have complete direct control of hostnames from my server box, right?

6. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

It's strange...
    Yesterday I was able to actually set my NS but now it didn't really set them. I guess that's just a phase right now until .fr are open for any (French) to register and not only for french companies...

As said, it works if you point it to the IP of your server and if you set set another mx server for it, however the issues as Belsameth said may occur...

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=laurelin.fr

7. falko

You mean you want to use your ISPConfig server as a backup mail server? Just create a second MX record with a higher priority value like 20, for example.

If your registrar's name servers are authoritative for your domain, you have to create the subdomains at your registrar. If your own name servers are authoritative for your domains, then you can create the subdomains in your name servers.

8. Belsameth

Belsameth New Member

Depending on your hosting provider you can make an A record of *.yourdomain.com. What that does is basically an alias that directs everything ending with .yourdomain.com to the IP you specified.

9. schmidtedv

schmidtedv Member HowtoForge Supporter

..just a question on this...netdirekt is registrar in my case...however, I put the domains I got in DNS with ISPConfig...although only Netdirekt can do that for the outside, would there be something wrong doing it in ISPConfig as well? It wouldn't do any harm, although it's useless, am I right?

10. falko

If your registrar is running the name servers for you, then it's useless, but it doesn't hurt. You could use the ISPConfig name servers in your internal network, for example.