How to send mail for a particular subdomain(s) from ISPConfig 3.0 to Zimbra 8.6

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Indieben, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Indieben

Indieben Member

Hello,

1. I was wondering if and how the following could be achieved -

(a). I have one static external IP.
    (b). I have one internal server install with Zimbra installed
    (c). I have one internal server install with ispconfig installed
    (d). I need to forward mail for some subdomains out to zimbra so that zimbra can process it as it wishes using it's default behaviour.

2. Relevant information:

(a). I have Email addresses that are in the format of firstname.division.website.com
    (b). I will need to install websites on each of these subdomains effected to
    (c). I am effectively trying to take advantage of ISPConfig's DNS capabilities as my domain management company is not that great.

3. Questions:

(a). I'm not sure how to achieve this. I understand that the subdomain needs to be added to the DNS - what format should this be typed in?
    (b). Is it necessary to change anything in zimbra to accomplish this?
    (c). What records etc need to be created?

Thanks and Kind Regards.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add a transport for that subdomain in ISPConfig and add it to relay recipients in ISPConfig.

3. Indieben

Indieben Member

Hi Till, thanks for this, is a web subdomain the same as an email subdomain?

4. till

No, web and email are separate as they can reside on different servers.

5. Indieben

Indieben Member

Sure, but i've been looking at the manual I bought and it doesn't seem to draw a distinction, so, for example, with my subdomains, I have websites on division.website.com and email addresses on [email protected] - once the subdomain is set up for the "mini website" on the subdomain, is the subdomain ready for Emails to or is there somewhere hidden away where I need to add the subdomain again for Email to work or is there just the one place in the system where you add subdomains as I currently think?

With subdomains, for the purposes of ISPConfig, do you add all the same records within the DNS as you would for the main website or if not, which ones do I need to add.

Thank you, your time and support is hugely valuable to me and thank you for going to the trouble to reply!

Kind Regards

6. till

Email and web is completely separated. If you want to use "division.website.com" as email domain, then add "division.website.com" as email domain in the domain module.

A subdomain in DNA is called A-Record, you add it in the zone of the main domain.

7. Indieben

Indieben Member

Hi thanks for this.

1. Does it matter that the server in DNS-Zones is specified as host.website2.com whilst the zone is website.com? (where "website2" and "website" are actually the names of domains)? Can the domain listed as the server be anything or does it have to relate to the zone domain?
    2. I've took on board everything you've said but I must have made a mistake somewhere! I've done some screenshots here, because I'm making them public i've replaced the domains etc - if there was a full stop at the end of a domain, to the best of my knowledge I have ensured that this appears in the screenshots!
    3. I am not receiving Email still through Zimbra, as long as i've definitely done everything correct in ispConfig, I can try and work further through this with Zimbra I guess.

These are my screenshots http://imgur.com/a/XnOis

I'd be really grateful if you'd be as kind as to have a quick look at my current setup through the screenshots and let me know if there is anything obviously wrong or if you can think of anything else?

Thanks again :)

8. Indieben

Indieben Member

This is the mail system at host host.domain.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: Host or domain name not found. Name
    service error for name=host.domain.com type=A: Host not found

9. till

Ensure that the subdomain host.domain.com exists in dns.

10. Indieben

Indieben Member

it does :)

11. Indieben

Indieben Member

Should the relay recipient be server.domain.com subdomain.domain.com or should the mailbox be included: [email protected]?

Should both the domain and the destination have full stops at the end in Email Routing or in Relay Recipients? I currently have mail looping back :-(