How to serve ISPConfig through a custom domain on Apache webserver?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by oussama, Apr 15, 2023.

1. oussama

oussama New Member

Hi everyone, I'm using Apache as my webserver and I need help assigning and serving ISPConfig through a custom domain like ispconfig.mydomain.com. Right now, I'm accessing ISPConfig using the IP server with port 8080, but I want to make it easier for myself and my clients. Can anyone guide me through the process of setting up the custom domain and configuring Apache to serve ISPConfig through it? I would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Creating a reverse proxy should resolve that.

3. oussama

oussama New Member

i tried to create a site and do the proxy in the redirects tab but i face an SSL error in the log

4. Alex Mamatuik

Alex Mamatuik Member

Did you mean accessing to ISP Config control panel not through a port, but directly as of ispconfig.mydomain.com?

• create subdomain vhost
    • find out ispconfig.vhost
    • copy required elements of ispconfig.vhost to already existing subdomain.domain.vhost
    • ln -s {ispconfig real directory} {/var/www/your_subdomain/web}
    Hope, it would work

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

6. Alex Mamatuik

Alex Mamatuik Member

7. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

you should be able to access the control panel, by default, using https://<servername>.<domainname>.<tld>:8080
    so if, in your example, your server name is also ispconfig you can use https://ispconfig.mydomain.com:8080 rather than the ip address..
    (assuming you have created an A record for the ispconfig subdomain in your dns..
    the ispconfig install should also have created a letsencrypt certificate for the fqdn using either certbot or acme if you already have the dns record for it.. or a self-signed cert otherwise.

if you want to access the control panel using the domain name without specifying the port number, as @ahrasis says, create a reverse proxy. first create a website using the subdomain you want to use, eg ispconfig (if this is the same as the servername it can lead to issues with applying cert renewals.. ), then add the required proxy directives to the apache directives section in the website options tab.