How to set up email for the first time?

Discussion in 'General' started by bswinnerton, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

I'm totally new to this.

How can i set up an email account? I thought that i may of done it through ISPConfig and then from the site adding an email account, but when i go to squirrelmail it says Unknown user or password incorrect.

Please help.

2. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

Alright i think i might of figured out why it isn't working. When i try to change anything in server>settings nothing happens, it stays at the default server 1.. and so on. What could of happened, and is there any way to fix it?

Or better yet is there a main file that handles all of the email addresses? So that for the time being i can just manually add email addresses??

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you upload the sql dump into the database manually during the ISPConfig installation?

4. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

Man, you're good.

Yes I did, after the installation the database was empty so i took it from another database that somehow got the info (i'm thinking from a failed install attempt) and put it into the new one.

What do you propose i do? Re-install? And if I do, does it just take a little while for all the info to get into the database? Because thats why i did it, i just got antsy i suppose.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you created the mysql database manually, this will result in the failure you describe. The database must be created by the ISPConfig installer itself, otherwise the installation will fial.

Please run:

rm -rf /root/ispconfig
    rm -rf /home/admispconfig

then delete the ISPConfig mysql database and install ISPConfig again. The mysql user that you use in the ISPConfig setup must have the permissions to create databases.

6. bswinnerton

bswinnerton New Member

Thank you, It's working perfectly now. (well almost, just more problems :))