How To Set Up Software RAID 1 On A Running LVM System (Incl. GRUB Configuration)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by GenePoole, Feb 6, 2010.

1. GenePoole

GenePoole New Member

I'm following your instructions and attempting to modify them to my environment.

My concern is that I didn't use the default partitioning during my install, I've got a partition (PV) for each of the major functions running on this machine (i.e. vg_opsys; vg_oracle; vg_websoft; etc.) for a total of 8 partitions on this 1 TB SATA drive.

I'm curious as to what should be done with partition 4 which is my type 5 (extended) partition type. Should I just ignore it when I'm changing the types on /dev/sdb to fd?

Also, there is at least 250 GB of free space on /dev/sda. How does that get converted to RAID 1? Or does it? And if it doesn't, should I just start all over and use hardware raid?

TIA
    Gene

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, ignore it.

You could add that space to an existing logical volume. Take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm

3. GenePoole

GenePoole New Member

It's been since February since you reply reached me. It appears that I've run into a bad batch of 1 TB hard disks. That's been solved so I can proceed.

I'm at the 'pvmove' step and this process take a very long time. What are the implications of establishing several sessions and doing multiple 'pvmove' processes at the same time? The 'mdadm --add' step concerns me because there have been some electrical issues in the area and my battery backup unit will only give me ~60-minutes. Your opinion?

Gene