How To Set Up Software RAID1 On A Running System Debian Etch - Problem

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jzupancic, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jzupancic

jzupancic New Member

Hello everyone!

I was trying to go through this guide (How To Set Up Software RAID1 On A Running System (Incl. GRUB Configuration) (Debian Etch)), but I found a problem.

I use VMware image from the guide: A Beginner's Guide To LVM - this Debian Etch VMware image

I copy/paste commands to the system with putty.

I made transformation of partitions:
    /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1 /boot -> /dev/md0
    /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2 / -> /dev/md2
    /dev/sda4, /dev/sdb4 swap -> /dev/md1

in tutorial transformation of partitions is:
    /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1 /boot -> /dev/md0
    /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2 swap -> /dev/md1
    /dev/sda3, /dev/sdb3 / -> /dev/md2

I came to the end of second page of the tutorial where I succesfully reboot the system (hd1 configuration) but I couldn't connect to the virtual machine with putty. The command ifconfig show me that there is only lo interface.

Does anyone have any idea why interface eth0 disappeare and how to solve this problem?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you see any errors on the output of
    Code:
    dmesg
    ?
    What happens when you run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    ?

3. jzupancic

jzupancic New Member

I found the problem. The system didn't get the IP address from DHCP server.

I solved it with static ip:

vi /etc/network/interfaces
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

And I can copy paste again with putty.

The process of raid1 on the system I bring to the end. I'm now very happy.
    I tested the reboot process and I think that the system starts a litlle bit slower, but the main goal is reached. Safety of the system data is increased.

Falko at this point I have to say thank you for your hint to solve this problem and THANK YOU for your work at this pages.

Thank you also to the other guys who puts howtos on this pages.

I read a lot of your usefull howtos here and many times they help me understand the problems.

THANK YOU.

4. jzupancic

jzupancic New Member

Another question about raid solutions.

On the system I had 2 hd for system (hda and hdc in raid 1) and 4 sd for data (sda, sdb in raid1 and sdc, sdd in raid 1 and both raid 1 fields in lvm).

From the howto I can get the solution, how to replace the disk if something goes wrong with them.

But how to get the data back (on sd disks), if something goes wrong with motherboard or controller and you have to buy another motherboard and install the system from the beginning (The perfect instalation howto). How to mount existing raid and lvm, that you can get the data back.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff