How to setup a CNAME record so I don't get default host web page

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by webguyz, Aug 18, 2015.

1. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have deciced to put a central RoundCube server on my multiserver setup instead of adding it to each of my separate webservers and having to tweak roundcube every time a new webserver host is installed

Created a separate webserver and added it to my ISPConfig setup and installed 1 website on it for Roundcube. installed RC manually and gave it a dedicated IP and the domain name was webmail.my_domain.com and I went into DNS and created a CNAME for each of my customer

webmail.siteA.com CNAME webmail.my_domain.com
    webmail.siteB.com CNAME webmail.my_domain.com
    webmail.siteC.com CNAME webmail.my_domain.com
    What I wanted was when a customer types in their DNS entry for webmail it would go straight to the website for Roundcube, but instead the request is pulling up the default web page for the host 'It Works!'

What do have to do on the dedicated RoundCube webserver so that it goes directly to the dedicated IP instead of the default 'It Works!' page?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is the Ip of the webmail.my_domain.com dns record correct?

3. webguyz

If I ping webmail.my_domain.com it resolves to xx.249.59.115 ( webmail.my_domain.com A record xx.249.59.115)
    If I ping webmail.siteA.com it resolves to xx.249.59.115 (CNAME webmail.my_domain.com)

If I go to http://webmail.my_domain.com it goes to my roundcube website
    If I go to http://webmail.siteA.com it goes to the 'It works!' web page.

Cleared cookies and cache using FF to test.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

But you added webmail.siteA.com as aliasdomain to the website webmail.my_domain.com in ispconfig?

5. webguyz

No. Do I have to create an alias domain for every one of my customers? Would not having a dedicated IP for the roundcube server be enough?

I could just create an A record for each of my customers DNS entries for webmail.*.com and make it the IP address **.249.59.115, but if for any reason that dedicated Roundcube server IP were to change I would have to update all the customers IP's and that's why I was hoping to use a CNAME.

Thanks!

6. webguyz

Till,
    Put everything back the way it was before I started messing with it and now its working the way I wanted to.
    I think the largest problem is me being impatient and then you have caching at the DNS, and web browser level and if you don't clear it then you get all kind of weird results.

I can now set up a webmail CNAME in all customers DNS and it successfully gets sent to the RoundCube website.
    Thanks for your help. I should have known if you didn't have an immediate answer it was something on my end :)