How to setup external mail servers?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mxc, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mxc

mxc ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi all,

Here is the situation. I have a web site on ispconfig which uses joomla and its form to email contact us form. The email address that is used is an alias. i.e. [email protected]. I have updated the MX record locally to point to the external mail server. I have changed the "MailServer" drop down to "External Mail Server" on the option tab under site management.

When the application sends an email I want it to just simple lookup the MX record and then send off the email. Users and aliases are defined on the external mail server. I seem that postfix insists on doing a local resolution before sending.

How can I get ispconfig to send all emails to the external mail server without trying to do any resolution itself?

thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Select "External Mailserver" on the "Options" tab. If your web site is www.example.com, this will prevent ISPConfig from configuring www.example.com in Postfix. But normally you don't have email addresses like [email protected], but [email protected]. To prevent ISPConfig from configuring example.com in Postfix, go to the Co-Domains tab, select the appropriate Co-Domain, go to the "Options" tab and select "External Mailserver".