How to setup mail to conform to expected behaviour?

Discussion in 'General' started by mxc, Jun 2, 2006.

1. mxc

mxc ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi all,

How does one setup the mail server in ispconfig so that people using a mail client can enter the following to get their mail:

username:user@customerdomian.
    password:secret password
    incoming mail server: mail.customerdomain

I can do the last by creating a c-name record to www.<customerdomain> and then entering that as the mx record for the dns entry. How do I do the rest? Currently I can use the email address as the userid for the web mail login but when I try and use it for a mail client such as thunderbird or fetchmail I get authentication errors. Otherwise I have to enter username like web2_username.

This is especially important as I want to migrate users to the new ispconfig server. I want to cause as little diruption to them as possible. Getting them to change their email account setting will be a nightmare. Trying to explain that you use different login details for web based mail as opposed to the email client is a problem. Not to mention people forgetting their web2_username login details

thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Email usernames can never contain an @ sign in ISPConfig, because linux does not allow @ signs in system usernames.

3. mxc

mxc ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I suppose one could configure the pop server to use a database table to do lookups instead of /etc/password. The it should be possible?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you want to re-program your POP server, then yes.