how to test a site on local network

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fuchsbox, Dec 4, 2005.

1. fuchsbox

fuchsbox New Member

I installed ispconfig on debian sarge, a great tool!

I prepare my new server on my local network, and going to replace my live production server if all went ok.
    The ip address for the server is 192.168.0.10, and I want to test my sites from another machine on the network.

- What should I set for "Hostname" and "Domain" on the site definition page?
    - I assume, the "Create DNS" and "create DNS MX" fields must be left blank, right?
    - What url should I enter on the testing machine in order to reach the site?

I have read a lot of forum threads, but can't figure out, sorry.:confused:
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. misterm

misterm Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello rob

Locally, that never goes, believe me, I have make the experiment, you must see it on Internet with the DNS.

Well with you

MM;)

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The hostname and domain of the web site you want to create, e.g. "www" and "example.com" for the web site www.example.com.

It depends. As you want to test in your local network only, there's two ways to reach your new site under the hostname and domain you specified (e.g. www.example.com):
    1) You can modify the hosts file on the machine that you want to use to access the web site (put www.example.com into it and let it point to 192.168.0.10). Also have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432

2) You set up a DNS server only for your local network where you create records for the web sites created on your ISPConfig system, and tell your client machine to use this DNS server as first name server.
    You can either set up a totally new machine, or you can simly use your ISPConfig system as name server, using the ISPConfig web interface to create the records. Then you can check "Create DNS" and "Create MX", or you manually create your records under "DNS-Manager" in ISPconfig.

If you do as I've told you above, you can use www.example.com. :)

4. fuchsbox

fuchsbox New Member

I choosed this option, it works, thanks.

Is there a solution for testing the mail server (postfix) on my local network as well? I mean can I send/receive emails on my testing machine to/from the Ispconfig users, if both machines are placed on local 192.168.0.x ip-addresses.

Thanks
    Rob

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. Create a new account in your email client and use the IP of your server as SMTP and POP3 server in your mailclient.