How to test: POP3 & POSTFIX

Discussion in 'General' started by vaio1, Jul 12, 2007.

1. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Hi guys,

How can I test the POP3 service if my vmware is not connected to internet? I means that I've connected by a UMTS mobile and I don't know how to share the connection with the vmware.

My Computer is connected by a bluetooth connection to a Nokia Mobile which is connected to a UMTS network.

how can the vmware server with the Fedora 7 installed, connect to the internet and get the emails addressed to a user registered in the ispconfig?

What are the parameters to insert in a Email client account?

Thank
    Michelangelo

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Install one of the webmail clients that you can find on the ISPConfig downloads page, login to the webmail client and send yourself a email from one local account to another local account. If the email arrives, everything is configured correctly.

3. vaio1

vaio1 Member

Hi Till,

is there a way to share a UMTS mobile connection with the vmware Fedora 7 image?

Thanks
    Michelangelo

4. till

Have you tried to enable the internet connection sharing in wirndows?

5. vaio1

vaio1 Member

I have tried to enable it but unsuccessfully.
    I have click on the Nokia connection and in the pop-up menu I have choose the Share connection item but nothing happens.

Thanks

6. till

Your setup is a bit special, it might be that you will have to configure the VM to use another IP and gateway for the shared connection, so that the IP address in the VM belongs to the same network then the shared internet connction and uses the correct gateway address. Maybe you must also choose another networking type in your vmware server configuration, the default networking type used by the vmware images is bridged which should work when your PC is connected to a local network.

7. TexasTaz

TexasTaz New Member

Re: Testing Pop3 or emai lServer

Hello MichaelAngelo,

Wow never heard of such a setup but the paremeters for your mail server should follow the rfcs for it like mail.domain.tld or smtp.domain.tld or pop3.domain.tld now in ISPConfig it's best to create co domains that point to the actual server such as cname -> mail.domain.tld which points to www.domain.tld something like that. Be mindful of the proper ports as well pop3 110 smtp 25 and imap 143.

I hope this helps,
    Michael A Cooper
    Founder
    http://hosthobo.com

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007