How to update from ubuntu 16 to ubuntu 18 with ispconfig 3.1 installed?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by g.tortorella, May 22, 2023.

1. g.tortorella

g.tortorella New Member

Dear all,

I'm new in the forum, I want to know if there's a detailed step-by-step guide on how to update Ubuntu version maintaining all websites and services configured with Ispconfig version 3.1

Thanks in advance

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I believe there is no step-by-step guide for upgrading Ubuntu 16. to 18.
    However, it has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Search should find the discussions.
    Short answer, from memory, possibly I forget some steps:
    • backup system, preferably so you can restore a booting Ubuntu 16 system if update fails
    • update Ubuntu 16 to 18 using Ubuntu update instructions
    • follow ISPConfig Perfect Server guide for Ubuntu 18.04, do installations and configurations it tells to do
    • run ispconfig_update.sh --force and let it do reconfigurations it suggests
    • test things work properly

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

then repeat the process for 20.04 (18.04 will be end-of-life in 9 days)
    then repeat the process again for 22.04

or just create and configure a new 22.04 ispconfig server and migrate the services over.

till, ahrasis and Taleman like this.
  4. Ben Stanley

Ben Stanley New Member

Yeah - I completely lost my mind and performed the release upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 (and made zero back ups) and now everything is broken. I knew better and don't know what I was thinking....well, we all know I wasn't thinking at this point. While all my data is in still on the drives, ISPConfig is dead. I am thinking (now) that creating a new server an trying to move over files would be the best option, but I am certainly open to a better solution.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Things that were there normally are still there, so I'd suggest you to just try to follow the ISPConfig PST for Ubuntu 20.04 and see if that fixes your broken server.

till likes this.