How to Update ISPConfig Pure-Ftpd?

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ktownmods, Jun 23, 2019.

1. ktownmods

ktownmods Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hey, the pure-ftpd version from iscpconfig work not with tls 1.3, so is there a easy way to update it to the newest release 1.0.49, there it is fixed.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are no pure-ftpd versions from ISPConfig at all. All packages on your server, except ispconfig itself, are from the Linux distribution that you have chosen as the basis for your server and if they provide a newer version or not can be checked in their package repositories or package websites.

3. ktownmods

ok, but so i have to look at their website?
    I dont want to damage my server xD

4. till

Yes, the issue is not related to ispconfig. ISPConfig just writes FTP user details to a MySQL or MariaDB database, which version of the FTP server you are using is up to you and to the Linux distribution you use, ispconfig is not involved there.

5. ktownmods

OK, thanks

6. till

And you don't need 1.0.49 version to fix the issue, for Debian and Ubuntu you need just 1.0.47-3 according to the pure-ftpd bugtracker which is available in Debian testing, so on Debian, you can probably install it with apt pinning, just take care to not accidentally update your whole system from stable to testing. Compiling is possible as well. You find the info for Debian and Ubuntu here: https://github.com/jedisct1/pure-ftpd/issues/94

7. ktownmods

But, how to get the version 1.0.47-3 for Ubuntu 18.04?
    I dont understand it xD

8. till

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

How does this error appear in the LTS distribution? Have you installed a newer openssl and pure-ftpd does not work with that? Or does this bug appear in Ubuntu 18.04 even when using stock versions of packages? I mean, 18.04 is a year old, why would it take a year to notice this error?

10. till

This error has been introduced by FileZilla, not pure-ftpd, while its a bug in pure-ftpd. Seems as if FileZilla enforces TLS 1.3 now (and not TLS 1.2 as in prior versions) and TLS 1.3 does not work properly in older pure-ftpd versions (as the one which is part of Debian 9 and Ubuntu 18.04) and this causes the problem. Other FTP clients are not affected as far as I know, so WinSCP and FireFTP and others work fine, just latest Filezilla has issues with pure-ftpd packages before 1.0.47-3. The packages from Debian 10 RC and Ubuntu 19.04 are not affected, so trying to use one of these packages might be an option or re-compiling pure-ftpd with this bugfix applied or not using latest FileZilla as FTP client until newer pure-ftpd packages were made available for Debian 9 and Ubuntu 18.04 officially by the Linux Distributions.

ahrasis and Jesse Norell like this.