How to use an external mailserver within ISPConfig?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hans, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I have another mailserver on a different location.
    I want that all the users of a certain domain use an external mailserver at an other location.
    How can i do this within ISPConfig?
    I know it is possible to select the option "Extern Mailserver" in the ISP-site module within ISPConfig.
    But i do not understand how this works.. Is it not necessary to specifify an new IP-address of the External mailserver?

Please let me know.

2. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think that when you specify an external mail server, you will need to specify the server address in the config file for postfix.

3. ddelbia

ddelbia Member

No, if I understand well the question, I think you need to set the MX record to the external server IP address in the DNS manager

4. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes sorry my mistake I think ddelbia is right.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The "External Mailserver" option in ISPConfig prevents ISPConfig to write email addresses for that domain into the Postfix configuration, which means Postfix will not accept emails for that email addresses anymore. If Postfix receives an email for such an address, it will relay the mail to the mail server that is specified in the MX record of that domain - which means you must have an appropriate MX record for the domain.

6. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Thank you Falko, i understand what you mean.
    I give it a try soon.

Hans

7. JerryJones

JerryJones New Member

Hi Falco, ive also read this, i think ive a similar problem:
    also im using external mailserver via ispconfig (2), when i open /etc/postfix/local-host-names i have also all !! domains which are using an external mailserver, my problem is that some users have a cms which try to send via localhost to "local" users , mails dont arrive on the right system, how can i static remove the unwanted domains from the localhostnames?

kindest regards
    Jerry

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

9. JerryJones

JerryJones New Member

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contr...ting-does-not-work/comment-page-1/#comment-17

Many thanks, so fast and the right solution, kindes regards