How to use dynamically assigned IP with domain ?

Discussion in 'General' started by happyhd, Nov 1, 2005.

1. happyhd

happyhd New Member

Posting a new thread since I think (or at least hope) that more ppl are thinking about this....

Ok, ISPconfig up and running, sites ready, but domain name is only valid as far as the walls of the house go...

Is there a way to use services like http://www.no-ip.com/ to get around this ?

I'm off to trial and error , just felt this forum could need a little discussion around that...so if you have the knowledge, I'm all ears :)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

First of all, ISPConfig isn't made for running in a local network, it's made for servers with a direct connection to the internet (public IP address, ...).

To solve your issue: you have to point your DNS records to your public IP address, i.e. your router's internet IP address, and then make your router forward all necessary ports to your ISPConfig system.

3. happyhd

happyhd New Member

Hm. I've been looking and looking..... I don't know about any other place to set the gateway than /etc/network/interfaces... please enlighten me !

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to forward the ports on your router, not in the network interfaces file of your server.

5. happyhd

happyhd New Member

the router part is not the problem, dlink seems to have thought about this things very well :)

But forwarding the DNS records was over my head. I thought that meant simply point the server to the router, and then figured that meant setting the default gateway.

Anyway : How do I forward the DNS records ? Thanks for all the help, I'm exited...feels very close to beeing up and running towards the world :D

EDIT: ok, I should have lookedaround more... seems posting here is the cure for looking in the wrong place !

Under DNS Manager, should I add the router as master or slave here ?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  6. falko

You don't have to forward DNS records. If you have a managed DNS service for your domains, then you'll most probably have some kind of web interface where you put the public IP address of your router.

7. happyhd

happyhd New Member

Yes, I chose no-ip for managing the DNS service and their setup was fairly easy, recommended ! , but seems my ISP is NATing me. Feels strange, fighting the
    security I'm offered... I tested grc.com and it showed sthealth mode without any software firewall running ! But can't give up now, wasting all the spent hours installing (and reinstalling) Debian/ISPconfig :)

Hopefully, I'll receive a message from a tech guy at no-ip tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted incase there are other ppl who want or might need this info in the future.

So long

wannabeWebmaster :D

8. IntnsRed

IntnsRed ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

But it's always easier the second (or third, or ...) time around. :eek:

That's one thing I was curious about -- if there's a GPL'ed equivalent to provide a dyndns.org-like capability to ISPConfig.
    ________
    Frank Stephenson

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  9. domino

domino New Member

Q1- Do you have a static or dynamic IP
    Q2- Do you have a Fully Qualified Domain you purchased from a Domain registrar?
    Q3- Do you have a cable/DSL modem
    Q3- Do you have a network router (I think this is answered)

You will need a deamon that will send no-ip your real IP address is you are dynamic.

http://www.no-ip.com/downloads.php?page=linux

Otherwise the default how-to instruction will normally work without having to change anything in ISPConfig. Without the other information, I can not go any further. The key is to port forward the router IP address from the DSL/Cable modem to the router. Then from the router, port forward the webserver IP addess to your webserver box.

What might be tricky is how to configure the subdomain name in ISPConfig. Which I have never done before. Maybe that is a limitation of IPSConfig since it was not made for this purpose. The best way to go about it is to buy a domain name.

10. falko

You could use ddclient ( http://ddclient.sourceforge.net ). There's even a package for Debian Sarge. But I don't know what license ddclient has. However, you don't have to pay for it. :D

11. domino

domino New Member

I use ddclient and it works wonders with my managed free DNS service at ZoneEdit.

12. IntnsRed

IntnsRed ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

dyndns-like capability for ISPConfig

I wasn't very clear on my initial post. I know there are several dyndns-like clients available.

What I was referring to is to add the dyndns-like DNS server capabilities to ISPConfig.

For example: Let's assume I have a server with a static IP address and happily running ISPConfig. Some user with the domain of xyz.com hosted on the ISPConfig box wants to add their dynamic IP addressed machine in as a host to the DNS of xyz.com.

What would be needed would be some server daemon to authenticate a dynamic IP addressed machine and to then update/create a DNS entry on the ISPConfig box. In short, replicating the dyndns.org service on/via ISPConfig.

13. falko

You could write a script that changes the values directly in the ISPConfig database. And for a DynDNS-like service, you should use a very low TTL like 4 sec. or so.

14. happyhd

happyhd New Member

Back after a little break :)

Very informative posts here since last time !

It seems like I'm closing in on a solution , my ISP are NATing my so that the only ip adress visible to the world is an ip from them. Hopefully they will give me an ip adress that allows for direct access to the router tomorrow. According to no-ip , things will then be running ok :D

answers to questions in a former post here :

my ip is dynamic (seldom changes, but still dynamic)
    I do not own any domain name
    I have cable modem
    beetween the cable modem and the server is a network router

15. domino

domino New Member

Great! Please post back on how it turns out for you. I have a few no-ip subdomains from back in the days which they are now charging people, but remains free for me. I would love to use them again for the heck of it.

16. sainsbury

sainsbury New Member

Does anyone have any advice on how this might be done? Or links to scripts? Thanks

17. falko