How to use external powerdns cluster

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by anandx, May 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. anandx

anandx Member

Hi,
    I have an external 3 server powerdns cluster, configured and working. I have a new server on debian 10 where I haven't installed / configured bind.

Is there a way I can use the existing cluster and link it up with ispconfig ?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You might try the PowerDNS plugin, that's not an official plugin and not developed by the ISPConfig team and there is no documentation for it, so you'll have to read the source to get it working. You can find the plugin in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-available/
    To enable it, create a symlink to this plugin in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-enabled/ and then enable DNS service under system > Server Services in ISPConfig. Finally, read the code of that plugin to see how to connect it to your PowerDNS database.

3. anandx

anandx Member

Hi,

I checked the code, and it assumes powerdns on the same server, and writes to the database for the same. In our case the powerdns is on a remote server and mysql is NOT exposed for writing from outside.

Is there any other way to send the records out to the powerdns server ? maybe via shell script or something ?

If not natively supported can i know if something like this can be taken up as a paid work ?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Then you'll probably have to develop your own plugin as the current plugin requires the PowerDNS system to run on MySQL and it requires that the database is reachable from the ispconfig node that runs the plugin, which does not has to be the master of course.

We do not provide development services. But you might find a developer who develops a custom plugin for you on a freelancer platform.