How to use UPPERCASE in mailbox names?

Discussion in 'General' started by Skprorok, May 9, 2010.

1. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

Can someone tell me please how to use UPPERCASE in mailbox name?

I need it because on my page users can register uppercase nick's but ISPConfig doesn't allow it. And when I add mailbox "[email protected]" and send mail to it, it doesn't work.

Thank you for reply:)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Uppercase mailbox names are not possible in ISPConfig.

3. Skprorok

Skprorok New Member

Is there way I can do it?

4. mike_p

mike_p Member

conceivably you could edit line 170 of
    /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/mail/mail_user_edit.php

and replace
    Code:
    $this->dataRecord["email"] = strtolower($_POST["email_local_part"]."@".$_POST["email_domain"]);

with
    Code:
    $this->dataRecord["email"] = $_POST["email_local_part"]."@".strtolower($_POST["email_domain"]);
    but this change would be overwritten by later updates.

5. vogelor

vogelor New Member

i think, this makes no sense, because the mail-Adress [email protected] and [email protected] are the same everywhere in the web (as i know).

6. Doug G

Doug G Member HowtoForge Supporter

RFC's specify that mailbox names are case sensitive. Is it just an ispconfig3 thing to force lowercase, or is this a requirement caused by postfix or one of the email programs used?

7. mike_p

mike_p Member

Since the RFCs specify case-sensitivity perhaps there should be the option within ISPConfig to allow it per email domain?

If option selected, use my alteration above, else use the original line?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We had case sensivity at the beginning and it caused a lot of problems. Poeple complained that their email does not arrive because [email protected] and [email protected] amd [email protected] are 3 different mailboxes then. If you force lowercase, then postfix will put emails for all these 3 email addresses with different casing into the same mailbox. If the email address is case sensitive, then the emails will get delivered into 3 different mailboxes and if you dont create all of them as different pop3 accounts in your mail client, you will never see the emails for this accounts.

Even if RFC's might specify it otherwise, I have never seen a single mailserver that handles email addresses case sensitive.

9. Doug G

Doug G Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yeah, I haven't either.

Thanks for the info till