Howto view websites before really moving DNS

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by JosephDesign, Feb 19, 2014.

1. JosephDesign

JosephDesign New Member

Hi,

Im used to DirectAdmin and there if i created a user (client->website) I could view the website via the ip like: 111.111.111.111/~thisdomainname

Is this possible via this awesome tool?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Such a link will work only for simple sites. On websites that use cms systems or url redirects, the results over such a link wint be the same then what you would see when the site is live. so such a test might work sometimes, but it might also fail and show you wrong results.

A more reliable way is to alter the hosts file on your desktop to test the site, this works on wndows, mac and linux desktops. Here is a short faq that explains this:

http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contr...ess-a-namebased-website-without-a-dns-record/

Nevertheless, ispconfig has a auto domain alis to view sites as well, you can set it under system > server config > web. But personally I wont use it has the same limitations then the link that you know from directadmin.

3. JosephDesign

JosephDesign New Member

Hi,

I configured it as follows:
    [client_username]

But when i go the IP 111.111.111.111/client_name (other link of course)
    I don't see anything (get 404). How should I do this?

4. till

thats a auto subdomain, not a alias. e.g. your company domain name (not the one of yur customer) is e.f. yourdomain.tld. then you enter in the auto subdomain field:

[client_username].yourdoamin.tld

Then add a wildcard dns record for *.yourdomain.tld on your dns server. You will then be able to access a cleint website with:

http://client_username.yourdomain.tld

But the placeholder [client_username] alone is a bed choice, as clients can have multiple websites. better use [website_domain] or [website_id].

5. JosephDesign

JosephDesign New Member

Sorry, I don't get it.

I now have the website_domain.

If i go to 111.111.111.111/domainexample I get a 404
    If i go to 111.111.111.111/domainexample.nl I get a 403

I don't want to do anything with DNS, just try this out, its a simple website, just want the same kinda thing thats in DirectAdmin.

How can I do that?

6. till

Please see the URL I posted as example above. You have to use a URL were the placeholder is the subdomaib and not a alias for the IP address like in your example.

You have to add a dns wildcard for your company domain, not for your client domain. You can then axxess this client domain website adn all future websites for any domain that you add without having to alter dns again. It wont work without that dns alias.

If you dont want to do that one time dns modification to enable the function for your server, then use the method described in the faq.

7. JosephDesign

JosephDesign New Member

Till,

I have no idea how to configure it.
    Im working from an IP (VPS). No domain or subdomain whatsoever connected to it.

Maby I can give you my credentials and server so you can see what am doing wrong?

Please help me out, I'm getting confused.

8. till

then you will have to use the method described in the faq.

There has nothing to be done on your server. the faq method is a change in a file on your desktop and the other method requires a wildcard subdomain to be pointed to your server / vps.

9. JosephDesign

JosephDesign New Member

I changed my hostfile to contain the ip and the domainname.
    Now it works, thanks.

Stupid thing is, it thought that no system would be so smart. Sorry, ISPConfig is appearantly. Using it for 2 hours right now, I think am in love.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014