Howto xen_gui_fedora_7_desktop

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by x345v20z, Nov 9, 2007.

1. x345v20z

x345v20z New Member

RE: the following Howto for FC7.
    "http://www.howtoforge.com/xen_gui_fedora_7_desktop"

My problem is with the file entered on the second window from the top displayed on the following page

"http://www.howtoforge.com/xen_gui_fedora_7_desktop_p2"
    Should the file be created first as a file, with dd as an image? or does this do it automatically?
    The person who created the HOWTO selected a file /home/xen/Fedora-7 without saying HOW he created the file/image.

Whatever I choose as a file or create with dd just gives me an error message with a bunch of python garbage. It is attached below as appendix.

Surely someone here must have used it and must know?

And yes...XEN runs as I used the xen enabled kernel with FC7.
    FC7 is out of the box newly installed, but I dont remotely get what the howto describes.

thanks

--------------------------------------------------Appendix--------------------------------------------------
    Starting install...
    libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
    Invalid file location given: No such file or directory
    Domain installation may not have been
    successful. If it was, you can restart your domain
    by running 'virsh start WinME-1'; otherwise, please
    restart your installation.
    Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:25:03 ERROR Invalid file location given: No such file or directory
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 474, in <module>
    main()
    File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 438, in main
    dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 706, in start_install
    self._prepare_install(meter)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/ParaVirtGuest.py", line 45, in _prepare_install
    self._installer.prepare(guest = self, meter = meter)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 678, in prepare
    self._prepare_kernel_and_initrd(guest, distro, meter)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 648, in _prepare_kernel_and_initrd
    distro = distro)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 578, in acquireKernel
    progresscb=progresscb, distro=distro, scratchdir=scratchdir)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 561, in _storeForDistro
    if store.isValidStore(fetcher, progresscb):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 213, in isValidStore
    if fetcher.hasFile("Fedora", progresscb):
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 160, in hasFile
    tmpfile = self.acquireFile(filename, progresscb)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/DistroManager.py", line 150, in acquireFile
    raise ValueError, _("Invalid file location given: ") + msg
    ValueError: Invalid file location given: No such file or directory

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think the file is created automatically, however the directory holding that file (in this example /home/xen) must already exist. You can create it like this:
    Code:
    mkdir /home/xen

3. x345v20z

x345v20z New Member

Yes I did all the directory and file creation but to no avail. I also for good measure chmod 777 the /home/xen directory. It still doesnt work. I get a "file doesnt exist" error. I came to the conclusion that my xen configuration tool is broken. I however do use the latest FC7 spin and the Xen enabled kernel is running.

It is a clean installation, so I honestly dont know why it doesnt work. I now tried it on two different rack-servers one with Opterons the other with Xeons with clean FC7 installations. Result remains the same.

I am really amazed thatr you could get yours to run on FC7.

Do you know which of XEN and KQEMU is the fastest?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That wasn't me, but Oliver. You could try to send him a PM.