I have survived ISPC 3.1 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by edi00, Apr 6, 2017.

1. edi00

edi00 Member

After 5 days debugging the mod-perl functionality to function as before the upgrade, I have realized that this company have a nasty habit to overwrite /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/vhost.conf.master, where all my configurations for the mod-perl are.
    Since I am upgrading about every 2 years I forgot that I have make a backup of this file, so when I have reached debugging dead end, I reloaded my back up and my frustration was gone.
    Caveat: If you have made some changes to this important file [save it] and you can save yourself lot of time of during your upgrade.
    This people need to work on how they are upgrading their ISPC.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no problem with ISPConfig upgrades at all, and off course is ISPConfig upgrading it's own config file templates, you just missed to make your manually changed core config files upgrade safe. So don't blame ISPConfig for your mistake.

To make a core config file update safe, you have to copy your modifies template to the /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/ folder. That's all.

3. edi00

edi00 Member

It is my believe that it is the upgrade APP which should store new templates in some "tem" folder and not user. In other words it should not mess up the the working ISPC

4. till

Ok, so in your opinion, ISPConfig should not be able to update it's own core files anymore so that it stops working after each update just because you edited a core file which may never be edited manually in that place instead of using the ISPConfig custom template mechanism? I guess other users will love your suggestion that new features in ISPConfig should not work out of the box just because you made a mistake on your system by editing a core file instead of moving the edited copy to the conf-custom folder.

5. edi00

edi00 Member

till, there is major difference beteween the core files and template files in my opinion. Templates are subject to user's modification while core is not. Therefore, ISPC should protect such template changes and let the user to experiment with the new one.
    There are some [Y/N] choices during the download but it is difficult to know what to select and there is no time for proper choice without study. Beside, for some reason you dislike mod-perl which is somewhat different then the Perl and there is no mod-perl setup under the sites tab.
    FYI till, I do like ISPC even thug I am frustrated with the upgrades.

6. till

ISPconfig protects the custom templates already and you can modify them. The folder /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/ contains core files and not templates to be modified by the user. The folder /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/ is for modified template files so they are kept by updates. As you see, there are no problems with updates when you don't modify a core file and all your custom modifications are respected by ISPConfig. You just edited a core file instead of making it a custom template, that's the only reason for your problem.

To finally sort that out, run this command:

cp -pf /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/vhost.conf.master /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/vhost.conf.master

and all your future updates will work flawlessly and use your custom template, nothing gets overwritten.

7. edi00

edi00 Member

Thanks for correction till. Ironically, it was you in 2010 who pointed up to me to modify the folder /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/ See https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...sles-in-in-the-ispconfig-3.46204/#post-229597

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. edi00

edi00 Member

Changing subject, how can I fix webalizer?
    It stooped working since I updated from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04