I moved munin, now i'm screwed

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by jdkullmann, May 21, 2008.

1. jdkullmann

jdkullmann New Member

I installed munin as per the howto - worked great as usual (this is on Debian Etch setup as per howto).

As my 'real' web root was somewhere else (/var/www/webroot) I moved the munin dir from /var/www to /var/www/webroot. Munin broke. So I did
    apt-get remove munin
    apt-get remove munin-node
    dpkg --purge munin
    and I also removed other munin files i found, by hand

Now no matter what I do I cannot reinstall munin. apt-get install munin (and nunin-node) fails with error

Initializing new plugins../var/lib/dpkg/info/munin-node.postinst: line 27: munin-node-configure: command not found
    done.
    Munin-Node appears to be uninstalled.
    invoke-rc.d: initscript munin-node, action "start" failed.

i dont get it. I'm installing munin - why am I getting uninstalled errors? I've tried googling and looking at archives but I can't figure out how to reinstall.

i'm moving my web root back to /var/www and just want to get munin working again.

HELP!

2. jdkullmann

jdkullmann New Member

Let me add that I believe it's because I manually removed files with munin in their name that is causing my problems. However, i didn't think the standard debian install would include munin files. I hope not.

apt-get install munin-node currently gets this error:
    Setting up munin-node (1.2.5-1) ...
    Initializing new plugins../var/lib/dpkg/info/munin-node.postinst: line 27: munin-node-configure: command not found
    done.

So maybe what I'm asking is how do I get munin files that are not part of the munin pkgs reinstalled (I guess there must be some).

thanks

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

4. jdkullmann

jdkullmann New Member

OK I did that. htmldir (and everything) left stock. perms on /var/www/munin

drwxr-xr-x 3 munin munin 4096 2008-05-20 20:30 /var/www/munin

When i access myserver.com/munin I only see this now

localdomain
    localhost.localdomain :: [ Disk Network Processes System ]

and none of the graphs that are displayed as I click around are ever updated.

5. falko

Any errors in your logs?

6. jdkullmann

jdkullmann New Member

There are two, one of which I can't figure out how to fix. This one I think will be fixed by rebooting which I will do now

2008/05/22-07:10:01 CONNECT TCP Peer: "127.0.0.1:52094" Local: "127.0.0.1:4949"
    find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in your filesystem driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option.
    Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

And this one I don't know how to fix - I've poked around but all the munin files here look just like the ones on another system of mine that is working. Here's the error

May 22 06:30:04 [28521] - Unable to update localdomain -> localhost.localdomain -> exim_mailqueue -> mails: No such field (no "label" field defi
    ned when running plugin with "config").

7. falko

Are you using Exim or Postfix?

8. jdkullmann

jdkullmann New Member

I installed via your most excellent Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Debian Etch), so, I'm using Postfix.

Hmm, so why is this suddenly complaining about exim?

This was working great until I moved /var/www/munin to my (old,since removed) /var/www/webroot/ , then i apt-get --purge removed munin and reinstalled (back to /var/www). Since then only those 4 items show up on the munin web page whereas before about 15 did

Thanks for helping

9. jdkullmann

jdkullmann New Member

So, trying to start over again. I did this

sudo apt-get remove --purge munin
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    munin*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives.
    After unpacking 1020kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 33786 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing munin ...
    Purging configuration files for munin ...
    The generated web site or accumulated data won't be removed.
    dpkg - warning: while removing munin, directory `/etc/munin' not empty so not removed.
    dpkg - warning: while removing munin, directory `/var/run/munin' not empty so not removed.
    dpkg - warning: while removing munin, directory `/var/www/munin' not empty so not removed.

And it didn't remove everything - according to the warnings. Last time I went and removed all that by hand and I think that's how I got into trouble the first time.

What do I do next to _really_ remove munin so I can reinstall it fresh and have it 'just work' like it did the first time?

Thanks

10. falko

I'd remove these directories manually and install munin again. If that doesn't help, then I don't know... :(