I need to install ispconfig on centos 8

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by danibel, Sep 28, 2019.

1. danibel

danibel New Member

I need to install ispconfig on centos 8

"The Perfect Server" Centos 8

Are you creating it?

aglenday likes this.
  2. danibel

danibel New Member

Thanks you Very much, but I don't want to have problems, it will be an important server
    I wait for the new "The Perfect Server Centos 8"
    When will it be ready?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I will start adapting ISPConfig for CentOS 8 in the next days, this will take between several days to several weeks, depending on the number of changes that need to be made. But it's quite likely that we will add support for CentOS 8 in ISPConfig in 2019.

basmevissen likes this.
  4. Starburst

Starburst New Member

Was curious if there was any update on this?

Thanks,
    David

5. arvanus

arvanus New Member

Hi.
    I'm trying to do it by myself, but I found that some crucial packages are not already included: dovecot-pigeonhole getmail and postgrey
    Basically, (for me) it just it that is remaining...
    Probably I could simply build it by myself, but I prefer to use from original rpm files :)

Starburst likes this.
  6. Daniel Resler

Daniel Resler New Member

hello, how does it look like with CENTOS 8 support?

7. pvanthony

pvanthony Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I too am looking forward for Centos 8 support.

8. pvanthony

Any news?

9. exynenem

exynenem Member

I've succesfully installed ISPConfig 3.1 on CentOS 8, but I cannot vouch for 100% flawlessly working support. I've just installed and tested it as a standalone-installation in a VM and not in a production environment!

Firstly you will need to (re)build certain packages yourself, like dovecot for dovecot-pigeonhole and some more packages. If you are are lazy you can grab those missing packages from my copr repo: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ms217/el8-ispconfig-missing-pkgs/

Those are unaltered rebuilds based on EL7/EL8/FC30+ packages! Alternatively you could wait until the CentOS package maintainers and EPEL have finally added the missing packages, which are required by ISPConfig.

Then you'll also need a modified version of stable-3.1 from here https://git.ispconfig.org/ms217/ispconfig3, or just grab the patches from there and patch the official stable-3.1 branch yourself.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    pvanthony and till like this.
  10. pvanthony

Thank you very much for replying and sharing your packages. I will check it out.

11. arvanus

arvanus New Member

Can you kindly explain how did you built this rpms?
    Thanks!

12. monkfish

monkfish Member

Hello,
    Noticed today that dovecot-pigeonhole amongst others has now made it into upstream and also CentOS 8 EPEL repos - installed the RPM just fine on my CentOS 8 test machine.

Keen to learn compatability now with ISPCONFIG and happy to help test if required.
    KR
    Monk

till likes this.
  13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thank you very much for the notice. I'll try to make the perfect server guide for CentOS 8 then.

pvanthony likes this.
  14. pvanthony

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for looking into this. I do appreciate it.

I just tried the yum --> dnf commands in the perfect server docs. Here are my results. Please take note that I am not an expert. Just sharing only.

1. Should we continue to use remi?
    Doesn't Centos 8 have a thing called module stream? That should keep the php versions upto date?

2. These are the rpm packages that do not seem to be available. I could be wrong.
    ntp (possible solution - https://www.tecmint.com/install-ntp-in-rhel-8/)
    php-mysql (could we use php-pdo and php-mysqlnd?)
    phpmyadmin
    getmail
    re2c
    php-imap (need?)
    php-mysql (need?)
    php-pecl-apc (need?)
    php-mcrypt (need?)
    php-mssql (need?)
    php-tidy (need?)
    php-imagick (need?)
    php-pspell (need?)
    webalizer
    awstats
    perl-DateTime-Format-HTTP
    perl-DateTime-Format-Builder

3. Not needed?
    amavisd-new (rspamd)
    spamassassin (rspamd)

4. Change to?
    python-devel --> python36-devel

I used dnf instead of yum.

I hope this helps in some way.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    till likes this.
  15. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

The actual yum command has been removed from CentOS 8 but it kinda does still exist as a symlink, linking to /usr/bin/dnf.

If you want to use additional PHP versions then I do highly recommend to continue using Remi.
    I am using his Repo since a very long time. It's simply the best out there if you don't want to maintain your own PHP packages.
    He even backports critical bugfixes to certain PHP versions that are already EOL. Where do you get this service for free?

Some packages are only available through the Powertools stream. Some others should be provided by EPEL and some have been even renamed. For example certain PHP packages have been renamed to php-pecl-<module>. However it might be possible that here and there some packages might be still missing.

16. pvanthony

Thank you for your advice. I will do the remi route.

How to activate Powertools stream?

17. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

This should do the trick:
    Code:
    dnf config-manager --set-enabled PowerTools

18. pvanthony

I will check this out. Thank you for sharing.

19. pvanthony

While making the documentation, if there is something that needs to be tested, I can help with testing. Please note that I am not an expert but I can try.

till likes this.