Identical network cards in ipcops

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Imran, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Imran

Imran New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone know how i can used two identical network cards in ipcops?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't see any problem. IPCop should recognize the network cards, and then you can use them. :)

3. Imran

Imran New Member

This is the first time I'm installing Ipcops and the documenattion says that the network cards must be different.

4. falko

Can you quote this from the IPCop documentation? I don't know of any such requirement.

5. Imran

Imran New Member

Sure, got this out of the IPCop v1.4.0 Installation Manual:

1.2.1.5. Network Interfaces

Your firewall will need at least 1 Ethernet cable and network interface card (NIC). It may need up to 4 NICs, depending on the network configuration you choose and your connection to the Internet.

All NICs must be different physical cards (or their equivalent if you have multport cards).

6. falko

You misunderstood this: you can have network cards of the same make and model; this quote says that you cannot use one card for more than one purpose. For example, if you have a green and an orange network, then you need one network card for the green network and one network card for the orange network; you cannot use one for both networks.

7. Imran

Imran New Member

Thanks for clearing that up!

8. kameelperdza

kameelperdza New Member

My ipcop does not want to work with 2 identical nics, it says auto detect failed when trying to add it, and also module already loaded when trying to add it manually. I wanted to add a 3rd interface but it seems impossible