I'm new to ISP Config

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Waqas Saeed, Jul 7, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

Hello
    [I'm new, first post] i've installed Debian 12.5 it works fine with ISP Config 3, I'm using free domain home1.domain.com,

so, like domain1.com (client) added for client
    added a nameserver into domain1.com accepted by Registrar,.

> ns1.domain1.com - IP assigned same as home1.domain.com (Same IP)
    > ns2.domain1.com - IP assigned same as home1.domain.com (same IP)

If am right, the nameserver will resolve DNS (ISP Config). including TXT, MAIL. A
    Ports are cleared 53.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Latest is 12.6.
    ISPConfig posts should be in ISPConfig forum.
    I do not see a question, so I do not know what to answer.
    My signature has link to DNS Name Service tutorial, maybe that helps?

3. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

Yes! It should be in ISP config Forum.
    That's not a question.
    It's that i have created. So am trying to ask from an expert or experience person in ISP Config that the entires DNS tab created will work as expected or am missing something like sounds good.

4. Taleman

The DNS tutorial, link in my signature, has chapter on troubleshooting if you want to test if your name server is working as expected.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've moved the thread to the ISPConfig forum now.

6. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

Hello.
    I'm sorry if am being stupid, i've configured much like dns and added the child nameserver (with A records) but am not able to get it why does it return REFUSED. does it require to allow permission to IP.

Code:
    user@home1:~$ dig @103.31.103.5 imranaslam.com
    ; <<>> DiG 9.18.24-1-Debian <<>> @103.31.103.5 imranaslam.com
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 46124
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
    ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
    ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
    ; COOKIE: 8b35a994d70f6dca01000000668beba2cbeafc1f714334f8 (good)
    ; EDE: 18 (Prohibited)
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;imranaslam.com.            IN    A
    ;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 103.31.103.5#53(103.31.103.5) (UDP)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Jul 08 06:37:38 PDT 2024
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 77

7. Taleman

I would say something is wrong in named setup.
    How did you set up DNS on those hosts? Did you use ISPConfig DNS module in ISPConfig Panel? Have you modified any files in /etc/bind/ directory manually?
    Like I wrote previously, there is the Troubleshooting part in the dns tutorial, you should use that to find what is working and what is not.
    To help you, you should reveal more of your setup. For example, screenshots of what you entered in the ISPConfig forms and results of the commands in "Testing" chapter ( wrote "Troubleshooting" previously, sorry).

8. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The nameserver in this case "103.31.103.5" e.g. your ISPConfig server is not responsible for the domain. That means you either forgot to add the Zone in ISPConfig -> DNS or your Zone is not loaded due to errors. Check the /etc/bind/ folder if there is a zone with .err file extesion, if thats the case, there is a error in your records.

Another thing:
    imranaslam.com does not report 103.31.103.5 as a nameserver, which means even if your DNS server is working, this will not work globally

9. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

i figured out that, first the dns should work within the local network.

Did you use ISPConfig DNS module in ISPConfig Panel?
    No. I haven't modified the directory /etc/bind

How did you set up DNS on those hosts?
    By ISPConfig > DNS Tab. Add DNS Wizard.

What is the Servername : home1.publicvm.com (it is the free domain name, it contains A records of remote ip)

Why do I require DNS.
    - the ISPConfig will host mutilple domain name that will included web/ftp/email access with remote ip. in each domain name i will add the nameserver so that it can reflect to the DNS and the client can manage the DNS also.

As a example; i have a domain name imranaslam.com and i can use it to check the ISPConfig.
    Domain name contains child nameserver ns1.imranaslam.com, ns2.imranaslam.com that reflects A record to my remote IP with registrar own DNS.

I've tried to put IP of local/and also remote in the ip address but both doesn't seems to response back or resolve (imranaslam.com)

There may be 100% probability that, there is something missing. but i have double check the Firewall allows 53 udp/tcp both router and ufw.

Results as per your Tutorial. but there am confused with some IP address whereas, i have 1 server ip address. that will be Debian Linux. under 192.168.100.3

host imranaslam.com 192.168.100.3
    Code:
    root@home1:~# host imranaslam.com 192.168.100.3
    Using domain server:
    Name: 192.168.100.3
    Address: 192.168.100.3#53
    Aliases:

CHECK 2
    Code:
    root@home1:~# host mail.imranaslam.com 192.168.100.3
    Using domain server:
    Name: 192.168.100.3
    Address: 192.168.100.3#53
    Aliases:

Host mail.imranaslam.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    Code:
    root@home1:~# host .imranaslam.com 192.168.100.3
    host: '.imranaslam.com' is not a legal name (empty label)
    root@home1:~# dig @192.168.100.3 imranaslam.com

; <<>> DiG 9.18.24-1-Debian <<>> @192.168.100.3 imranaslam.com
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54612
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
    ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
    ; COOKIE: f4c7ad540177626601000000668c56f6f0f0b6447e4bf70f (good)
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;imranaslam.com.            IN    A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    imranaslam.com.        2494    IN    SOA    info216403.mercury.orderbox-dns.com. aslam.imran08.gmail.com. 2024070805 7200 7200 172800 38400

;; Query time: 4 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.100.3#53(192.168.100.3) (UDP)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Jul 08 14:15:34 PDT 2024
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 165

Thanks in advance for your time for this post and giving out of the box efforts to understand the case am into .

Attached Files:

10. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

No i have added it. i have tried to access via changing the local wifi dns to the 192.168.100.3 so i can check if the dns is working fine, i didn't get success. yes. there is .err file.
    root@home1:/etc/bind# ls

bind.keys db.empty named.conf.local rndc.key

db.0 db.local named.conf.options slave

db.127 named.conf named.conf.options~ zones.rfc1918

db.255 named.conf.default-zones pri.imranaslam.com.err

11. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It is best if you use your own domain instead of this public free domain because it normally causes troubles.

By the way, the err file means you have to check and fix your dns records with tools suggested in @Taleman's guide.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  12. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

That's right. Much more options to make changes but definitely i will. Am waiting for @Taleman reply.

13. Taleman

Have you read the DNS tutorial yet?

In you message #9, did you omit the last line of output of first check? The one with command "host imranaslam.com 192.168.100.3"?
    From the screenshot, it looks like you have not entered A records for name servers ns1 and ns2. If you had run the named-checkzone it would have told you this. You should have run named-checkzone, as that is what the tutorial tells you to do if you have .err file for your zone.

pyte likes this.
  14. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

did you omit the last line of output of first check?
    No. That's as it is.
    upload_2024-7-9_10-57-53.png

upload_2024-7-9_11-11-3.png

grep named /var/log/syslog
    https://privatebin.net/?01cafb0f0b9ee7ea#DXiDWuFUjyWKacAzP8gJ6aV1yczCy7ujTmfdgaLy3Gjh

user@home1:/etc/bind$
    named-checkzone imranaslam.com /etc/bind/pri.imranaslam.com
    zone imranaslam.com/IN: loaded serial 2024070803
    OK

There are tons of errors.

15. pyte

You need to add A records for ns1.imranaslam.com and ns2.imranaslam.com if you want to use them.

16. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

Now am able to see the page after changing the DNS server to 192.168.100.3 in my wifi.
    i think so; i need to wait for the dns to show up on the internet? i have added the ns1.imranaslam.com and ns2.imranaslam.com in the active DNS.. (with child name pointing to my server's remote ip) ?

17. pyte

If you want to use your ISPConfig Server as a nameserver for imranaslam.com you need to edit the GLUE records for imranaslam.com at the registars configuration panel.

However if this is ISPConfig server is running as a homeserver and not hosted in some kind of data center, it might not be the best idea to use it as a DNS server for the domain itself.

18. Taleman

If you only use your name servers on your local LAN or WiFI, it should now be OK.
    If you want the Internet to see the name service data you have entered on your servers, you must change the name servers you have registered for zone imranaslam.com. The tutorial tries to explain this. Try reading the Wikipedia article, maybe it helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
    I do not understand that part.

ahrasis and pyte like this.
  19. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

I'm discussing this case with my domain name registrar. thanks for your help.

20. Waqas Saeed

Waqas Saeed Member

@pyte To change the hostname via ISPconfig. do you have useful link or tutorial. I'm think to move from free domain name to premium domain name.