I'm so confused.

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Emery Harrison Jr, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Emery Harrison Jr

Emery Harrison Jr New Member

I am brand new to the IT industry. What I have taken in so far is very confusing to me right now. All of the letters and symbol and commands are swirling around in my head like a alphabet storm. Is there anybody else going/went through the same thing as I am? Are there any suggestions as to how I can calm the storm and start making sense of all of this?
    Thank you

Emily Landry likes this.
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. Emily Landry

Emily Landry New Member

i feel the exact same way... I feel like i have to teach myself how to use this stuff. Ive been watching a lot of youtube videos. Im staying optimistic. good luck Emery

Emery Harrison Jr likes this.
  4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Some things may be easier to learn by reading.

5. Emery Harrison Jr

Thank you Emily. It's good to know I'm not out here on my own. It's very encouraging to know that there is someone else out here feeling the same way I am and they are able to find a solution. I'm going to start watching videos on Youtube. I'm sure once I start watching them, to go along with and re-enforce what I learn from the class assignments, things with begin to clear up.
    Thank you for you assistance and good luck to you also Emily.

6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

and most of it is even easier to learn by doing.
    don't expect to learn and remember everything. even after decades, i still end up looking up the correct syntax / arguments for commands, the less often you use a command the more often you'll need to refresh your memory.
    best method is probably to install linux as a vm on your computer, get it all working, and then clone/copy it, so you can easily and quickly start up more, or quickly return to a new clean working vm. and then just start doing stuff. breaking things (in a save, non-essential environment) is a good way to learn.
    it's mostly confusing to you because it's unfamiliar, as you use it and get used to where everything is it'll get a lot easier.
    and be thankful you weren't starting learning linux 20-30 years ago, if you want to run anything in particular these days, you're rarely forced into having to compile it yourself, or have to recompile the linux kernel to add some new feature.

Emery Harrison Jr likes this.
  7. Emery Harrison Jr

Yes Taleman, for some people do learn easier by reading. But not for me. For me, reading is a start, but I learn more by seeing what I just read put into action, first by someone who is an expert at it , then by me. That's how I learn best. For me, just reading something does little more than put a lot of words and symbols in my head.
    Thank you for your suggestion.

8. Emery Harrison Jr

So, I can download LinuxOS on to my laptop and play around with in? Where would I go to download Linux? I'm sure you can't just go to the "App store". And what exactly would I be looking to download? Would be just LInuxOS, or will it have another name? Thank You for your help.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please see the link that @Taleman posted in post #2 of this thread, it contains a list of Linux Distributions for Desktop and Server use.

10. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

That's life: If you want professional training, you have to pay for it.
    Or you have to invest time and teach yourself. Almost all documentation is freely available and out there, but a high level of self-motivation is expected from the reader.

Th0m likes this.
  11. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

if you want to download a version of linux to use as a virtual machine. download the OS iso image from ubuntu.com or debian.org, both completely free to download.
    there are others, but ubuntu/debian are probably the easiest for new users.
    can use hyper-v (windows), virtualbox (windows. linux, possibly mac?) vmware workstation (windows, linux) parallels (mac) to create a virtual machine and install linux as a guest OS from the downloaded iso.
    you can also just burn the iso to disk/usb and boot from that, using it as a live cd. you won't be able to save any changes between reboots this way, but for just getting used to linux, it's perfectly adequate.
    if you want to use the windows 10 subsystem for linux (wsl) you need to enable it first (google for win 10 WSL setup) and download your preferred linux OS from the windows app store, again the linux download is completely free.

12. Emery Harrison Jr

Ok, I will. Thank you

13. Emery Harrison Jr

Thank you for the information.