Im writing a new server

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by fobicodam, Sep 23, 2006.

1. fobicodam

fobicodam ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi, some time ago i get the idea to develop a new server by scratch. Im tired of using bogus/big software when i just need a smtp/pop3 server.

I started developing that some days agos and i have 0.0000001 pregamma version running on 208.51.140.77. It dont relay cause the code to send mails is still "disconnected" from the database, so, its 100% secure :eek:)

I like to know if some of you can bomb it a few.. i need to know how many connections can manage before crash.

The idea is to build a SMTP/POP3/DNS/Light HTTP server on a single program, using a SQL database behind to keep the data (yes, account, servers name, logs, even the emails!), it could be slower, but as the server is fast enough (i dont need lots of useless validations) i believe it could make it, plus if you need more power you can add a new server and create a cluster on seconds.

Ok, ill be making changes to the server but my idea is to keep it working 48/72 hours to test it.

While i was writting this i remember i left some security code inside the .exe file.. so i must recompile it :p please, any comment will be usefull !!!

2. fobicodam

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which programming language do you use, is it .NET based?

4. fobicodam

No, by now its vb 6.0, i feel more confortable in vb 6, also, i dont know how to handle socket in .net.. :p

its working very well right now, i received some spam but nothing hard to get, i believe it handle all the income email with just one smtpserver object. Im trying to put some machines to bombard it so it must use at least 10 or 15 objects at same time.

The pop3 server work very well too :D

5. till

Ok, I will just write a small script and send you a few hundred mails :D

6. till

If it was .net we could have tryed to run it later on linux too with the mono framework :)

7. fobicodam

I dont like .Net, 3 versions on 3 years... too many modification for a small lifetime, thats the reason why i dont like linux too..

The idea is to have a program which can run fine on a P2 with 512Mb and Nt4 or a plain 2003 :D if this could be done then may be i could rewrite it for .Net, but .Net needs too many dependences, too much hardware...:mad:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  8. fobicodam

I was bombing my server... 5 msgs per sec. 25000 mails :D but i can only open 7 sockets at the same time.. i couldnt force it more than that... im writing more in spanish on my website forums:

http://foros.imago.com.ar/phpbb/index.php

:cool:

9. fobicodam

Im exausted

7 hours trying to figure out how to handle DNS requests !! :eek: but i did it !! now i have smtp server, pop3 server, and dns client (to resolve domains servers) and smtp client to route mails. Plus, DNS cache (over the database) POP before SMTP and trusted IPs for relay control and a log table to see whats going on.

So, fully functional !! i called this the 0.0.1 version. I need to fix a lot of code, but its all funcional !!

please, test it !! 208.51.140.77, my mail addresses are [email protected] or [email protected], its the mail server for the fobicodam.com.ar domain.

Any support will be appreciated !!

10. fobicodam

Im writing in spanish on my fourm about the progress with my server, i wrote a list manager for it and it has sent over 100.000 mails the last 12 hours.. everything works right, i need to improve speed, i must use some kind of cache to avoid going to the database for every little thing...

my forum: http://foros.imago.com.ar/phpbb/index.php

11. fobicodam

Ok, its almost done, I need to speed up the dns resolve module but its fully functional !!!

Is there anyone reading thins wanting to be a beta tester?

12. fobicodam