imap and pop connection failed (debian sarge)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ayolo, Jan 29, 2006.

1. ayolo

ayolo New Member

Hi,
    I followed your "howto" without any error I think but I can't perform connection to my imap or pop server.
    I tried several combination for login but it doesn't work.

Code:
    telnet 127.0.0.1 110
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    +OK Hello there.
    user [email protected]
    +OK Password required.
    pass ******
    -ERR Login failed.

Code:
    telnet 127.0.0.1 110
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    +OK Hello there.
    user [email protected]
    +OK Password required.
    pass ******
    -ERR Login failed.

Code:
    telnet 127.0.0.1 110
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to 127.0.0.1.
    +OK Hello there.
    user ayolo
    +OK Password required.
    pass ******
    -ERR Login failed.

It's the same problem with the imap server.
    If any body has an idea it would be nice.

Ayolo

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

PLease have a look at your mail.log, did you get any errors there? Do you have the courier packages installed or the pop3 / imap packages for mbox format?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Which tutorial (URL?) are you referring to?

Did you try to send a mail to that account before you tried to login with POP3? Sometimes that helps because the mailbox is only created when the first email arrives.

4. ayolo

ayolo New Member

Thank you for your answers,
    I check my /var/log/mail.log
    and I found that :
    Code:
    Jan 30 15:06:29 localhost courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 30 15:06:43 localhost authdaemond.mysql: authmysql: mysql_select_db(provider) error: Access denied for user: 'provider_admin@localhost' to database 'provider'
    Jan 30 15:06:48 localhost courierpop3login: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 30 15:06:50 localhost courierpop3login: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 30 15:16:09 localhost authdaemond.mysql: restarting authdaemond children
    Jan 30 15:16:09 localhost authdaemond.mysql: modules="authpam", daemons=5
    Jan 30 15:16:09 localhost authdaemond.mysql: modules="authpam", daemons=5
    Jan 30 15:16:23 localhost courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Jan 30 15:16:32 localhost courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=ayolo, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]

So I finaly understood that even with apt-get remove --purge courier-imap courier-pop courier-imap-ssl courier-pop-ssl
    some files where not cleaned so when I followed your howto (here) there were conflicts with my last installation.
    I just erase the file /etc/courier/authdaemonrc after apt-get remove --purge courier-imap courier-pop courier-imap-ssl courier-pop-ssl and I follow again your howto and now everything is ok.

I'm realy sorry for "my stupidity" but without your suggestion : "PLease have a look at your mail.log" I was not able to find the solution.

Moreover, I would like to say "thank you" to the website www.howtoforge.com and all it's members because first your guide are clear and easy and because when you ask for some help, you've got answers very quick.

Ayolo