IMAP Error: Account's mailbox directory is not owned by the correct uid or gid

Discussion in 'General' started by SupuS, Oct 8, 2008.

1. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi

I was forced to renew webs from zip backups from broken server on new one. Now when I would like to use IMAP it returns this error (tested as described on http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/README.authdebug.html)

Code:
    telnet localhost 143
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.localdomain.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
    a login username password
    * BYE [ALERT] Fatal error: Account's mailbox directory is not owned by the correct uid or gid:
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    Error doesn't include any uid or gid so I don't know correct value.

Unfortunatelly zip doesn't support of preserve permissions so I manually changed owner and group of Maildir directory and its content to current user. I tested chmod to 777 to but without success. So at this time I cannot use IMAP. POP3 works fine.
    Another strange thing is permissions of courierpop3dsizelist file. Its group changes from correct usergroup to 10027 number sometime. Probably old group id from old server?

I would like to use IMAP again but I didn't find any helpfull sollution. Any idea will be appreciated.

SupuS

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please edit a setting of this user in ispconfig, e.g. the quota value and click on save so ISPConfig updates the user and then try to access the mailbox again.

3. SupuS

Hi Till

Thank you for replay. I changed quota but error is still same. Only courierpop3dsizelist has right permissions. I have no idea where is problem. I installed everything as usually except renew from zips.
    I found that problem is on whole server even on new created account .. could it be some misconfiguration during setup?

edit: courierpop3dsizelist has 10027 gid again.

SupuS

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please check if the UIDs and GIDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group look ok.

5. SupuS

Hi falko

These files looks ok .. I cannot find any strange differences between this ispconfig server and files on the other servers

Right gid number for tested user is 10017 .. gid 10027 is not presented in group file

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. falko

Do you have a web27 in your ISPConfig database somewhere?

7. SupuS

Yes it is in four tables. I searched web27 and myprefix27. But I set counting of uid from 10010 so web27 has 10037 gid.
    Now I found that I set counting after I added few users :confused:
    In group file I have

web17:x:10017:admispconfig,myprefix17user
    web18:x:10028:admispconfig,myprefix18user

Maybe this is the problem? gid 10027 doesn't exist because I changed value of user id from 10000 to 10010.

I changed uid counting on others server too but before I add first user. It was because of problems with other application which added its gid .. I don't remember exactly :eek:

8. falko

You can try to use the chgrp command with the GID instead of the group name, e.g.
    Code:
    chgrp 12345 /path/to/file

9. SupuS

It doesn't help. I cannot to login with right or false GID. After few time it switch again to GID 10027. This strange GID behaviour is on one account only. On others accounts and webs are right GIDs but I cannot login to IMAP too :(

10. falko

IS there maybe a cron job that's changing the GID?

11. wiorelp

wiorelp New Member

I know it is a bit late, but for others that have the same issue that you and I had, change the GID in your mysql for that user which will fix the issue.