IMAP(-SSL) problems!

Discussion in 'General' started by jorizzzz, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

I've got big problems with IMAP on both of my servers. I get often a message from my customers that the IMAP server could not be reached...

I have tried it myself and at first everything worked perfectly, but after a while i also got the error message that the server could not be contacted. It is definitely a software problem, because i've got two servers on two different locations that show the exact same problem.

I can't seem to find anything in the log files.. Better said, i can't seem to find any log files generated by courier?!

Could somebody please help me?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Are there any errors in your mail log? Do you use something like Denyhosts, Blockhosts, or fail2ban? If so, maybe you've locked yourself out because you were trying a wrong password too often.

3. tensor

tensor New Member

You may try "grep courier /var/log/mail.log". /var/log/mail.log is a default log file in Debian. In your distro it may be different.

4. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

I've looked at the log files again. And it seems that courier is logging in mail.info, mail.log and syslog..

Couldn't find anything intereseting though, only a whole bunch of login's and logout's.

I did find a small section with 7 or 8 times this line:
    imapd-ssl: couriertls: read: Connection reset by peer

But that was all in the same second and i can't find it anywhere else in the log files.

This really is a strange problem. It works, but after a while it suddenly stops working. And a while later it works again. All this without writing anything to the log files.

Is there a way to enable debugging for courier and send those lines to a different log file?

5. falko

Are there any errors in the other logs, e.g. syslog?

6. jorizzzz

jorizzzz New Member

Nothing relative to this...

What i did notice is that all the information from mail.info and mail.err also appears in syslog. How can i change this? I only want important things in syslog, not a log that some user has logged in to courier to check his mail. That can go in mail.info

Also another little thing, I often get the message from my system that some user is almost over his quota. Is there any way to disable this? I only want to know this if someone is over his quota...

7. falko

Take a look at
    Code:
    man 5 syslog.conf
    You must set the $threshold value in /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/quota_msg.php to 1.