In all howto's, prefork preferred over worker?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Keeper, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Keeper

Keeper New Member

Hello,

At least all Debian/Ubuntu guides seems to favor apache prefork over worker. Why the guides do not instruct to use worker and PHP5 with FCGI, or at least include it as an option?

Shouldn't web server receive a noticeable performance increase by using worker and PHP on FCGI?

From what I gather, to make PHP5 run on FCGI all what is necessary is to drop libapache2-mod-php5. No other changes in the guides is needed as ISPConfig handles setting up virtualhosts. Correct?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

ISPConfig 2 doesn't support FCGI, that's why Apache prefork is used.

3. Keeper

Keeper New Member

ISPConfig 3 has been out for a while and used in newer howto's.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

ISPConfig 2 and 3 are two completely different and imcompatible pieces of software that just share the same name.

5. Keeper

Keeper New Member

Yes I'm aware of that.

I was asking why in latest Debian and Ubuntu perfect server howto's mod_php/mpm_prefork is used instead of mod_fcgid/mpm_worker as both of those howto's are based on ISPConfig3 which to my knowledge supports mod_fcgid.

In latest CentOS and Fedora howto's both mod_php and mod_fcgid are apparently installed, as mpm_prefork allows it. Looks like setting up worker in CentOS/Fedora is more tricky than in Debian/Ubuntu.

I have a feeling I just answered my own question why the howto's use prefork as far as Red Hat based distros are concerned. Oh well, I guess I just have to google proper guides for setting up mod_fcgid/mpm_worker properly to work with ISPConfig 3.