Increasing loop devices debian etch

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ubutux, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ubutux

ubutux New Member

I have xen installed on debain etch but can only create a small number of domu's .i have read this is because i need to increase the number of loop devices .i dont understand the info im reading regarding this .I need to load the loop module ,that has the option of max_loop=64 .can someone enlighten me howto do this .thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Add this to /etc/modules:
    Code:
    loop max_loop=64
    Then reboot the system.

3. ubutux

ubutux New Member

Thanks falko ,do i need to have options in front of this command ?
    ie options loop max_loop=64 and then add this to /etc/modules .I did read that a file called loop can be created under modprobe.d with this command in it then add the loop filename to /etc/modules ? im a little confused still .I tried both ways and there are still only 8 loop devices listed under /dev.thanks

4. falko

No, all you have to do is add
    Code:
    loop max_loop=64
    to the file.

5. ubutux

ubutux New Member

i have added loop max_loop=64 to /etc/modules then rebooted the system . I still get the "Failed to find an unused loop device" . is there anything else i need to change ?? thanks again for your help

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  6. falko

7. ubutux

ubutux New Member

hi falko i followed the instructions in the link you supplied and then rebooted the system ,no luck .I increased the number to 128 and rebooted again with the same result .can you suggest another step ? thanks for your help

8. falko

9. ubutux

ubutux New Member

Thanks for help falko adding the command to grub worked .Cheers