Information for a newbie

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Syeda Nazia Afrin, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Syeda Nazia Afrin

Syeda Nazia Afrin New Member

Hello everyone. This is Syeda. I am very much interested to work in Cyber security world. So I am taking courses at St. Philips. Part of that I am currently on the Linux course. Everything is so new to me in Linux. I would be much obliged if you can give me some information about how to find the system configuration info in Linux. Is it the same way for each distribution? One more question, why we have so many distributions? Can't we just have one best for each category? Thank you all in advance.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What kind of configuration are you asking for? Following commands maybe help
    • more /proc/cpuinfo
    • dmidecode | more
    • lspci
    • lsusb
    • lsb_release -a
    Use Internet search engines with
    Code:
    why we have so many distributions?
    While you are at it, also find out why there are so many makes of cars. Why not just one lorry, one family car, one ambhibious car?

Syeda Nazia Afrin likes this.
  3. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Because we can! It is open source and everyone can make his own. Obviously, this has pros and cons.
    Usually, the configuration of system wide settings are stored in the /etc folder. These are text files which can be read and edited by and editor (and easily saved/restored/version controlled). Each program has its own configuration file. Bigger programs have several of them stored in folders.
    For example, your network configuration is (depending on distribution) in /etc/network/interfaces

In addition to the commands @Taleman already posted, there is also "dmesg" (diagnostic message) you could have a look at:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-dmesg-command/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Syeda Nazia Afrin likes this.
  4. Syeda Nazia Afrin

Thank you so much for your answers to my questions. I need to learn more.

5. Syeda Nazia Afrin

Thank you so much for your answers. Obviously I would look at the link.

6. Joaquinm7

Joaquinm7 New Member

I am new to Linux so I have so many questions regarding the most basic commands such as Cd and the characters. I guess my question is do you have any advise to master the most fundamental commands? Obliviously, practice is the short answers, but I would like to know if you have an specific website or reading material that simplify the commands.
    Thanks,

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter