Install/Enable phpmyadmin 3.2.8p2

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Robetus, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Robetus

Robetus Member

I looked all over the web for the last couple days and searched this forum as well and I couldn't find anything relating to the instal of phpmyadmin with ISPConfig Version: 3.2.8p2 on nginx. Does phpmyadmin install with 3.2.8p2 or do I need to install manually. I found a couple methods but none of them seem to apply to newest version of of ISPConfig. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

if you followed all of the perfect server tutorials, or did not exclude phpmyadmin from the auto-install then it should already be installed.
    if you haven't already got it installed, we can't tell you how to install it without knowing what OS (and OS version) you're using as installation is different for each one.

3. Robetus

Robetus Member

I'm running ISPConfig on Ubuntu 20.04 and nginx.
    In the Server Config I have: [DATABASENAME]/phpmyadmin
    I have tried /phpmyadmin and other variations as well nothing works.
    It does appear that phpmyadmin is installed on the server. I did not exclude from the install.
    I did exclude apache2 from the install with the nginx flag.
    In sites-enabled in the main vhosts file for nginx I do see entries for:
    location /phpmyadmin {
    and
    location /squirrelmail {
    Would be great if I could get both working.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. Robetus

Robetus Member

Everything looks to be in place on my server according to to the guide you shared.
    It's also seems pretty outdated since it's for ISPConfig 3.1. Thank you for the link though, maybe someone else has some input.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig 3.2.8p2 can not run on Ubuntu 22.04 as Ubuntu 22.04 ships with PHP 8.1 which is not supported by ISPConfig 3.2.8p2. Either use Ubuntu 20.04 or you must use the beta release of ISPConfig 3.2.9: https://www.ispconfig.org/blog/installing-ispconfig-3-2-9-beta-1-on-ubuntu-22-04/

and phpmyadmin and roundcube are accessed on port 8081 and not 80 or 443 on Nginx systems as the perfect server guides and auto installers install it into the apps vhost, which is on port 8081. Therefore you find the URL rules to access phpmyadmin in the apps vhost only. So the URL to access phpmyadmin on Nginx systems is:

https://your.serverhostname.tld:8081/phpmyadmin/

Regarding phpmyadmin, ISPConfig and phpmyadmin are not connected to each other (except for a freely configurable link that can point to any URL for the db admin button in ISPConfig) and ISPConfig itself does not install PHPMyAdmin, the installation is covered though in perfect server guides and the auto installer script that resembles the perfect server guides installs it too. You can basically use any method you like to install PHPMyAdmin on an ISPConfig server. Either use system packages or install it from source or create a website in ISPConfig and then install phpmyadmin inside that website.

7. Robetus

Robetus Member

I wrote 20.04 not 22.04. I did use "apt install phpmyadmin" to install phpmyadmin. I'll keep looking for install guides to get it to work with ubunutu 20.04 running nginx. If I figure it out I'll post on here for everyone.

8. Robetus

Robetus Member

Okay that's interesting, never thought of that. I can try that but it would be nice to get it working on the root domain. Or maybe a subdomain of the root domain would work, like phpmyadmin.mysite.com

9. till

Ok, if you used the auto-installer, then it was working already, at least until you tried installing it with apt, which might broke it. You just used the wrong URL to access it. PHPMyAdmin on Nginx systems is always accessed on port 8081:

https://your.serverhostname.tld:8081/phpmyadmin/

10. Robetus

Robetus Member

Yep that was it! It is working. I did use apt, should I do an apt remove purge?

11. till

No, this will break it, you basically downgraded with apt to an older version, but removing it will remove it altogether.

12. Robetus

Robetus Member

I'll go through a guide to update phpmyadmin back to 5.2.0, now it's at 4.9.5. There is an issue though, the database link from the ISPConfig GUI goes to port 8080, can I change this in the server config?

13. till

System > Interface > main config

14. Robetus

Robetus Member

Okay so in System > Interface > main config for the PHPMyAdmin URL I just use the full URL including https?

15. Robetus

Robetus Member

Is there any way to use the [DATABASENAME] variable to go directly to the database?

16. till

You can use the full URL. Just trying it is in most cases the fastest way to find out such things btw.

Sure, open a database in phpmyadmin, take a look at the URL in the browser and you can see that you can do that. Example:

Code:
    https://your.servername.tld:8081/phpmyadmin/db_structure.php?server=1&db=[DATABASENAME]

17. Robetus

Robetus Member

Yeah I just figured it out thank you. Awesome stuff!
    I know, you're just answering quick right now so I'm being lazy :)

Thank you for your help. squirrelmail is working on 8081 too, just gotta figure out how to install correctly with config file, never used it before.

18. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Squirrelmail is very outdated, use Roundcube instead.

19. Robetus

Robetus Member

I need to install Roundcube even if I use the automatic installer correct? Roundcube is not installed by default with the automatic installer?

20. Robetus

Robetus Member

If I install the 3.2.9 beta on Ubuntu 22.04 will I be able to upgrade ISPConfig to a 3.2.9 stable version when it is released in place without having to do a fresh install?