Install of Ubuntu 12.04 using PXE

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by cpatchett, Nov 4, 2013.

1. cpatchett

cpatchett New Member

Let me preface this by saying I have googled the answer to this question. I have found many howto's for installing Ubuntu from a PXE server using DHCP, NFS, and tftpd. I have read the tutorials and tried many different approaches and fixes and I am stuck. I am sorry if this seems like a double post. My problem is, I am trying to install Ubuntu SERVER 12.04 FROM the PXE server. I thought it would be similar to installing Ubuntu Desktop from PXE, however, it is proving me wrong. I have managed to get my config so that DHCP is behaving properly, and the tftp PXE boot is working properly, but when the install gets to the point of needing the install media, it isn't mounting the NFS share like it is supposed to. I have checked my permissions and I am able to mount the NFS share from a different machine and there are no errors showing up in my syslog in regards to NFS problems on the server side. Any suggestions?

Default in "tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg":

default menu.c32

prompt 0
    timeout 100
    ONTIMEOUT localboot

MENU TITLE Chris Ubuntu

LABEL Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Server Installer
    MENU Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Server Installer...
    KERNEL ubuntu-server/vmlinuz
    append boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.109:/nfsroot initrd=ubuntu-server/initrd.lz ramdisk_size=32768