Install questions: RAM, Nginx, and database engines

Discussion in 'General' started by befree22, Nov 23, 2014.

1. befree22

befree22 New Member

Hi Folks,

I'm new to ISPConfig which I'm looking to switch to. I have a lot to learn about ISPConfig but here are some main questions I have:

1. How much RAM does ISPConfig require? KloxoMR uses 50MB RAM. I read on webhostingtalk that ISPConfig is a beast and I want to know if it's a RAM hog. My hosting has 2MB RAM allocated on Centos 6. I want to avoid using more than 25% running a control panel with all the services in the ISPConfig package.

2. I will install ISPConfig on an Nginx server instead of Apache. I know that ISPConfig supports PHP5 but is there documentation to support Nginx SSL?

3. How many database engines does ISPConfig use? I know it uses MySQL but does it use InnoDB, MyISAM, etc? I'd prefer use InnoDB.

4. Does ISPConfig have a builtin firewall like CSF Firewall? I'd like to know what system security is in place -- I did check out the admin demo.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

1Gb RAM is enough.

Yes it supports NGINX reference http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-6.4-x86_64-nginx-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p6

It uses Mysql.

ISPConfig uses the bastille-firewall script which uses iptables.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig is not a deamon, it consist of a web interface and a cronjob, so it does not require RAM all the time. The ram amount used by the web interface is similar to a cms system like wordpress or other cms, the ram is only used when you request a webpage and not permanently. The server cronjob runs once a minute and requires some ram during that run, but that not much. so ISPConfig consumes less RAM then most other controlpanels. So for the RAM requirements of your server, ISPConfig does not matter. What matters is which services you want to run (e.g. if you want to run mail, web, dns, ftp or just mail or just web). For a full featured server that runs some websites and provides all services, you should have about 1GB of ram, but that ram is used by the software that provide the services (nginx, postfix, pure-ftpd, clamav, spamassassin, amavis, bind) and not ispconfig.

SSL ist supported out of the box, just follow the nginx perfect server install instructions.

ISPConfig uses myisam for its internal database, for the website databases you may use any engine that is available in your mysql install. ispconfig will run with innodb for its internal database as well, but you will have to convert the tables manually and as it wont give you any benefits for the dbisocpnfig database, I recommend to leave it as it is.

ISPConfig has 2 builtin firewalls which can be used alternatively. If your server has UFW nstalled, then the ispconfig installer will detect that and uses UFW. If ufw is not found, then bastille firewall will be used which is a simple iptables wrapper script.