install sata card and drive

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by somae, Nov 29, 2008.

1. somae

somae New Member

I recently installed a via 6421 sata card with a rwdvd sata drive. The readme file with the driver talks about recompiling the kernel.

We've got debian 2.6.18-6-686.

Is there an easier way to do this? (or good information on how to?)

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. criminallawyer

criminallawyer New Member

I installed a SIIG SATA controller card, and attatched a new SATA drive to it. Well, I don't see the drive anywhere in the Computer Management/Local storage section. I've got the drive plugged in to a power source, and connected to the controller. According to the SIIG instructions, my controller is installed correctly if I see it in the Device Manager, and I do.
    What else can I do?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Seems as if the OS doesn't recognize the new hardware, probably because of a missing driver. Which distribution are you using?

5. ForexGuides

ForexGuides New Member

Before you start the installation process, be sure to take the ESD precautions described in Chapter 5, "Preparing for Your Upgrade," of TechTV's Upgrading Your PC, Second Edition. The process of installing your SATA hard drive includes the following steps:

Installing an SATA host adapter if your computer doesn't have onboard SATA.

Placing the drive into the drive bay.

Connecting the drive to the data cable.

Connecting the drive to the power cable.

Adding a drive bay adapter and rails (if required).

Verifying the drive has been detected by the SATA host adapter BIOS or setting up the drive in the system BIOS (depending upon how the drive is connected to your system).

Each step is discussed in detail in the following sections.
    Installing a Host Adapter

Because the first SATA hard disks didn't hit the market until the spring of 2003, it's likely that you need to install an SATA host adapter before you can install a SATA drive. Make sure you have an open PCI expansion slot you can use.

CAUTION

Make the Most of a Single PCI Slot

If you're concerned about running out of expansion slots, consider a multi-function host adapter card. SIIG (http://www.siig.com) offers a wide variety of multi-function cards that combine ATA/IDE or SATA ports with USB 2.0, IEEE-1394a, and other port types.

To install an SATA host adapter with recent versions of Windows, follow these steps:

Shut down your system.

Disconnect the power cable from the outlet to cut all power to the system.

Use ESD protection equipment, such as a wrist strap and work mat, if available (see Chapter 5 for details).

Open your computer and locate an unused PCI slot.

Remove the slot cover; save the screw for use in reattaching the new card.

Insert the SATA card into the slot.

Secure the card into place with the screw removed from the slot cover.

Reconnect the power cord and restart the computer.

Install drivers when prompted.

Restart your computer if prompted.

Open the Windows Device Manager to verify that the SATA host adapter is working. It should be listed under the category SCSI Controllers, SCSI Adapters, or SCSI and RAID Controllers.